Energy from Waste: How Much Electricity Can 230M Tonnes Produce?

• Thread starter mz19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, if all the solid waste of 230 million tonnes were burned in waste-to-energy power plants that are 20% efficient, a) 1.28x10^9 MWh of electrical energy would be produced annually, and b) the equivalent average electric power output from all these waste burning power plants would be 256,000 GWh.
mz19

Homework Statement

If all the solid waste of 230 million tonnes were burned in waste-to-energy power plants that are 20% efficient,a) how many kilowatt-hours of electrical energy could be produced in a year? Compare this quantity with the total U.S. electrical energy production of approximately 3.8 trillion kWh annually.b) what would be the equivalent average electric power output from all these waste burning power plants? how many 1-GW coal-fired plants could they displace

Homework Equations

20 MJ/KG from waste

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A)

230 million tonnes=230 billion kg

230kg x 20 MJ/KG= 4.6x10^12 MJ

4.6x10^12 MJ/3600 seconds per hour = 1.28x10^9 MWh

2.56 x 10^11 kWh/3.8 trillion kWh = 6.7 %

Part B I'm not sure where to start. The back of the book says the answer is 29 Gw and 29 coal fired plants but I don't know how they got to this answer. I tried to convert the 2.56x10^11 Kwh to GW and got 256000 GWH but according to the book, that's not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
mz19 said:

Homework Statement

If all the solid waste of 230 million tonnes were burned in waste-to-energy power plants that are 20% efficient,

a) how many kilowatt-hours of electrical energy could be produced in a year? Compare this quantity with the total U.S. electrical energy production of approximately 3.8 trillion kWh annually.

b) what would be the equivalent average electric power output from all these waste burning power plants? how many 1-GW coal-fired plants could they displace

Homework Equations

20 MJ/KG from waste

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A)

230 million tonnes=230 billion kg

230kg x 20 MJ/KG= 4.6x10^12 MJ

Everything looks good to this point.

What happened to the 20% efficiency factor?

4.6x10^12 MJ/3600 seconds per hour = 1.28x10^9 MWh

2.56 x 10^11 kWh/3.8 trillion kWh = 6.7 %

It's not clear from the problem statement over what period the waste is burned. It would be easier to find out how many joules of energy are contained in the total annual U.S. electrical energy production figure of 3.8 trillion KW-h.

Part B I'm not sure where to start. The back of the book says the answer is 29 Gw and 29 coal fired plants but I don't know how they got to this answer. I tried to convert the 2.56x10^11 Kwh to GW and got 256000 GWH but according to the book, that's not correct.

How many KW-h or joules can a 1 GW coal plant produce in 1 year of operation? Compare this figure to the amount of energy produced by burning the waste.

SteamKing said:

It's not clear from the problem statement over what period the waste is burned. It would be easier to find out how many joules of energy are contained in the total annual U.S. electrical energy production figure of 3.8 trillion KW-h.

How many KW-h or joules can a 1 GW coal plant produce in 1 year of operation? Compare this figure to the amount of energy produced by burning the waste.

1 GW is equivalent to 1,000,000 KW. Is this the same as Kwh or do I need to multiply by the number of hours? In which case a year of production would have 8760 hours times 1,000,000 equals 8,760,000,000 kWh. Is this correct?

Compared to the 256,000,000,000 kwh from burning waste, the 1GW power plant produces more.

mz19 said:
1 GW is equivalent to 1,000,000 KW. Is this the same as Kwh or do I need to multiply by the number of hours? In which case a year of production would have 8760 hours times 1,000,000 equals 8,760,000,000 kWh. Is this correct?

Compared to the 256,000,000,000 kwh from burning waste, the 1GW power plant produces more.

Is 1 GW equal to 1 million KW-h? Why don't you look at the definitions of the units?

You still haven't answered my question about what happened to the 20% efficiency of the waste heat plants.

No, 1 GW is equal to 1 million KW. I'm trying to figure out how to convert KW to KW-hours.

And sorry, I missed that. I didn't add in the 20% efficiency. Would I multiply the 2.56 x 10^11 kWh by 0.2 to factor in the efficiency and get 5.12x10^10

SteamKing said:

I missed a step when I typed this up.

(2.3E11 KG)(20 MJ/KG) = 4.6E12/3600seconds= 1.28E9 MWh * (.2 efficiency)= 2.56E8 Mwh *1000= 2.56E11/3.8E12= 6.7%

As far as part B I'm still confused. I need to convert the 2.56E11 to GW?

If 1 KW = 1000 J/s, then how many J are in 1 KW-h? Pay careful attention to the units.

What is energy from waste?

Energy from waste refers to the process of generating electricity or heat by converting waste materials, such as municipal solid waste, into usable energy.

How does energy from waste work?

Energy from waste facilities use various technologies, such as incineration, gasification, and anaerobic digestion, to break down waste materials and convert them into energy. The energy produced can then be used to generate electricity or heat.

Is energy from waste environmentally friendly?

Energy from waste is considered to be a more sustainable option compared to traditional landfill disposal. It helps reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and also reduces greenhouse gas emissions by harnessing energy from waste materials that would otherwise contribute to pollution.

How much electricity can 230M tonnes of waste produce?

The amount of electricity produced from 230 million tonnes of waste will vary depending on the type and quality of the waste, as well as the technology used to convert it into energy. On average, it is estimated that one tonne of municipal solid waste can produce approximately 500-600 kWh of electricity.

What are the benefits of energy from waste?

Energy from waste not only produces electricity and heat, but it also helps reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills, preventing pollution and potential health hazards. It also reduces the need for fossil fuels, making it a more sustainable energy source.