1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy functions help./

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    OK, they're throwing pretty weird concepts to our heads in this PHY101 course. stuff like even partial derivatives that we didnt take in math. differentiating partially with respect to a single variable treating others as contants is NOT getting through my head. can someon PLEASE illustrate it for me?????

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2
    partial derive of xyz with respect to y (say) is as if z and x are just numbers
    so you get xz*1= xz.

Say you replaced every other variable with a fixed number except the var. you differentiate. It is then just regular derivatives.

Remember calc 1? What is the deriv. (w/ resp. to x) of Cx^4 .....ANS> C*4*x^3. Now, change C to another variable y,z,w ...whatever.. same math.

Hope it helps.

4. May 10, 2007 #3

Gza

[tex]
    E_p(k_X, k_Y) = \iint E_s(x,y)e^{i(xk_X+yk_Y)}\,dx\,dy
    [/tex]

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  5. May 14, 2007 #4
    heh, wish I knew what text you were using, I was looking for a phy101 that does exactly this(but that it does it without warning you before you enroll is pretty nasty)

6. May 14, 2007 #5
    pretty sure he doesn't get the concept but he knows how to do it.

It's like the derivative wrt x (say) along a curve where z,y are constant. Drawing a picture will make it easy straight away. Think of a solid shape. Chop it into two pieces. The rate of change along the edge is kind of doing a partial derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?