Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Energy in a charged cap. via Kaluza-Klein theory

1. Jul 4, 2016 #1
    In terms of Kaluza-Klein theory how does one view the stored electromagnetic energy between the plates of a charged capacitor.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you're asking. Kaluza-Klein theory is equivalent to the Einstein Field Equation + Maxwell's Equations. So it includes standard electrodynamics, which can explain the stored energy in a capacitor, and Kaluza-Klein theory would just use that same explanation.

4. Jul 4, 2016 #3
    In Kaluza_Klein charge can be thought of as momentum in the 5th dimension?

I guess I was looking for some kind of geometrical interpretation of electrostatic energy.

5. Jul 4, 2016 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sort of, yes; charge relates to how fast a particle is going around the small circle that is the 5th dimension. But I don't know how (or if) that interpretation can be extended to cover the energy stored in the field. In standard (4-dimensional) GR there is no way to define a localized "energy in the gravitational field" as a geometric object, and in Kaluza-Klein theory what we call "electromagnetic" energy would be a form of "energy stored in the gravitational field" (interpreting "gravitational field" as the underlying 5-dimensional geometry).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted