Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in a magnet

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1

(I'm not fluently in english, sorry if it's not a pure english)

I use FEMM software for caculate energy. I have found an integral fonction "Magnetic field Energy" when I select a surface. But I have always the same energy, I don't know why. Is there necessary to make something special ?

In fact, I would like to calculate the energy when a magnet draw a solid metal, or when a magnet draw another magnet. It's a simple problem.

The potential energy move between a solo magnet or a magnet with metal, no ?

Somebody can help me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

When a magnet pulls a ferromagnetic metal it actually realigns the magnetic domains in the metal so that they form a magnet. That said, there is a specific energy density in the magnetic field. When two fields overlap they will superimpose to either make the field stronger (increasing the energy and requiring work) or weaker (reducing the energy and doing work).
  4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    good, thanks, but how can I use FEMM software for have energy in the magnet ?
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea. I don't even know what FEMM software is.
  6. Apr 28, 2008 #5
    does anybody can help me ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?