Energy in a non-inertial frame

In summary: I agree with this, except the inertial force is tangential to the drum at the top, so the block exerts only a vertical force equal to the centripetal force exerted by the drum on the block. I.e. ##120N##, as you calculated.And at an arbitrary angle ##\theta## from the downward vertical, ##N - mg\cos{\theta} - ma\sin{\theta} = mv^2/R## implies that$$N(\theta) = mg(3\cos{\theta} - 2) + 3ma\sin{\theta} + mv_1^2/R$$which does give ##N(\pi) =
A13235378
Homework Statement
An observer located in the cart that accelerates with 7.5m / s ^ 2, realizes that when the 4kg block passes through the lowest part of the 20 cm radius circumference, it has a speed of 4m / s. Determine the magnitude of the force that the block exerts for such an observer at the highest part of the circumference (g = 10m / s ^ 2).
Relevant Equations
k = mv^2/2
F = m.a
P (potencial energy) = mgh
Sem título.png

In the frame of the accelerated block, I applied the non-inertial force F'. My doubt is if I can conserve the mechanical energy in the accelerated frame and find the speed at the top. Otherwise, how could you proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy conservation in a non-inertial frame works almost exactly like an inertial frame, so long as you include the works done by inertial forces.

However, note that in the non-inertial frame, the inertial force in this case is constant, and has no component in the vertical direction. So the work done by this non-inertial force is simply ##-ma \mathbf{e}_x \cdot 2R \mathbf{e}_y = 0##, so you can essentially ignore it when writing down your energy equation between the bottom and top of the circle.

Likes A13235378, Leo Liu and PeroK
etotheipi said:
Energy conservation in a non-inertial frame works almost exactly like an inertial frame, so long as you include the works done by inertial forces.

However, note that in the non-inertial frame, the inertial force in this case is constant, and has no component in the vertical direction. So the work done by this non-inertial force is simply ##-ma \mathbf{e}_x \cdot 2R \mathbf{e}_y = 0##, so you can essentially ignore it when writing down your energy equation between the bottom and top of the circle.
First, thanks! Second, I conserved the energy:

mv^2/2 = mgh+ mv'^2/2
8 = 4 + v'^2/2
v'^2 = 8

So, I applied the resulting centripetal (I don't know if I could)

N + P = mv'^2/R
N + 40 = 160
N=120

Then, I made Pythagoras with the fictitious force:

F^2 = 120^2 + 30^2
F = 123,7 N

The answer is 75 . Where I am wrong?

A13235378 said:
Does the answer have a formula, or just ##75N##?

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
Does the answer have a formula, or just ##75N##?
Just 75 N

If I'm not mistaken, the force the block exerts on the cart should just be the normal force. Remember that the inertial force only acts on the block, and isn't part of a force pair.

I think the answer is wrong, but better wait for someone else to confirm this!

A13235378 said:
Just 75 N
I don't see how they get that.

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
If I'm not mistaken, the force the block exerts on the cart should just be the normal force. Remember that the inertial force only acts on the block, and isn't part of a force pair.

I think the answer is wrong, but better wait for someone else to confirm this!
If we ignore gravity, then the inertial force acts like a fictitious gravity and the block will be traveling at ##4m/s## when it reaches it reaches the top - that's just sliding round a half-circle to the same as the starting "height". Therefore, as you previously suggested, the horizontal force does no net work. And the problem reduces to the same as one without the horizontal acceleration.

I get ##120N##.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
If we ignore gravity, then the inertial force acts like a fictitious gravity and the block will be traveling at ##4m/s## when it reaches it reaches the top - that's just sliding round a half-circle to the same as the starting "height". Therefore, as you previously suggested, the horizontal force does no net work. And the problem reduces to the same as one without the horizontal acceleration.

I get ##120N##.

Yeah, same. And if PeroK also gets a different answer to the mark scheme, then we can be damn well sure that the mark scheme is incorrect 😄

etotheipi said:
Yeah, same. And if PeroK also gets a different answer to the mark scheme, then we can be damn well sure that the mark scheme is incorrect 😄
I don't know about that!

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
Thanks everbody

Likes etotheipi
A13235378 said:
First, thanks! Second, I conserved the energy:

mv^2/2 = mgh+ mv'^2/2
8 = 4 + v'^2/2
v'^2 = 8

So, I applied the resulting centripetal (I don't know if I could)

N + P = mv'^2/R
N + 40 = 160
N=120

Then, I made Pythagoras with the fictitious force:

F^2 = 120^2 + 30^2
F = 123,7 N

I agree with this, except the inertial force is tangential to the drum at the top, so the block exerts only a vertical force equal to the centripetal force exerted by the drum on the block. I.e. ##120N##, as you calculated.

Likes A13235378
And at an arbitrary angle ##\theta## from the downward vertical, ##N - mg\cos{\theta} - ma\sin{\theta} = mv^2/R## implies that$$N(\theta) = mg(3\cos{\theta} - 2) + 3ma\sin{\theta} + mv_1^2/R$$which does give ##N(\pi) = 120 \text{N}##

Likes A13235378

1. What is a non-inertial frame of reference?

A non-inertial frame of reference is a coordinate system that is accelerating or rotating with respect to an inertial frame. In other words, it is a frame of reference that is not at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How does energy behave in a non-inertial frame?

In a non-inertial frame, the total energy of a system is not conserved. This is because the frame itself is changing, and thus the laws of conservation of energy do not apply. However, energy can still be transferred between different forms within the system.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed in a non-inertial frame?

No, the law of conservation of energy still holds true in a non-inertial frame. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another.

4. How is the concept of potential energy affected in a non-inertial frame?

In a non-inertial frame, the concept of potential energy is still applicable, but it may be more complex to calculate. This is because the potential energy of an object is dependent on its position in relation to other objects, and in a non-inertial frame, these positions are constantly changing.

5. What are some real-world examples of non-inertial frames?

A common real-world example of a non-inertial frame is a car accelerating or turning on a curved road. The car and its passengers are in a non-inertial frame, while the road and surrounding objects are in an inertial frame. Another example is a rotating amusement park ride, where the riders are in a non-inertial frame while the rest of the park is in an inertial frame.