1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in a rectangular coil

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular coil with N = 2,000 turns that has a resistance of 7.90 Ohms is coplanar with a long wire which carries a current which depends on time according to I0 *exp(-t/tau), where I0 = 6.50 A and tau = 4.30 s. The rectangular loop has a width of W = 2.00 cm and length L = 7.60 cm. The near side of the loop is a distance D = 2.90 cm from the wire.

What is the total energy dissipated in the entire coil from t = 0 to t = 2.60 s?

2. Relevant equations
    I=I0*exp(-t/tau)
    Flux= [L*mu*I*ln(1+w/d)] / 2*pi
    V (or EMF) = d(flux)/dt = [ (L*mu*ln(1+w/d)) / 2*pi ]*(-I0*exp(-t/tau))
    where this, (-I0*exp(-t/tau)) , is the time derivative of I
    P=(V^2)/R
    Energy= integral(P)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already got the previous questions for this problem. The answers resulted in: Flux for one turn of the coil at 2.6 seconds= 2.83×10-8 T*m^2, EMF for entire coil at 2.6 seconds= 1.32×10-5 V, and the power dissipated from the coil at 2.6 seconds=2.19×10-11 W.

I just don't know how to integrate the power equation.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You left out 1/tau while differentiating with respect to time.
    The dissipated energy is the integral of the power from t= to t=2.6 s. And the power is (V^2)/R as you have shown. The emf is of the form C exp(-t/tau) where C is a constant. What is its square?
    You certainly know what is the integral of an exponential function.

ehild

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    Well, I actually had the 1/tau in my work I just accidentally didn't type it. Well, the intergral of exp(-t/tau) would just be -tau*exp(-t/tau) ?? So the emf would just be -(tau^2)*exp(-(t^2)/(tau^2)) ? and divide by same R i was using ? It's that simple ? What would the constant be?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. Jun 22, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take care when you square an exponential function. (exp(x))^2=exp(2x)
    And the square of a negative quantity is positive.

ehild

6. Jun 22, 2011 #5
    Wait, I'm confused so you square it first then take the integral or what

7. Jun 22, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First square the emf as P=(V^2)/R , then integrate with respect to the time.

You wrote in a previous post that

"V (or EMF) = d(flux)/dt = [ (L*mu*ln(1+w/d)) / 2*pi ]*(-I0*exp(-t/tau))
    where this, (-I0*exp(-t/tau)) , is the time derivative of I"

Here is a 1/tau missing. The time derivative of I is -I0*1/(tau)*exp(-t/tau), so the emf is

V=[ (L*mu*ln(1+w/d)) / 2*pi ]*(-I0(1/tau)*exp(-t/tau)).

You have to square this whole thing, divide by R and integrate.

ehild

8. Jun 22, 2011 #7
    Yea, I know I left that out by accident. So V^2= [L^2*mu^2*I0^2*(ln(1+w/d))^2*exp(-2t/tau)] / 4*pi^2*tau^2 ?

So P= V^2/R= [(L^2*mu^2*I0^2*(ln(1+w/d))^2*exp(-2t/tau)) / 4*pi^2*tau^2] / R

Take the integral of that, would you pull everything out except for exp(-2t/tau) ? So really you are just integrating that, the rest a constants ? So the integral of exp(-2t/tau) would equal -((tau*exp(-2t/tau))/2) ?

Or no, it wouldn't be exp(-2t/tau) it would be exp(t^2/tau^2) ? but to integrate that I'm not sure of .. Ughh, I'm so confused for no reason =(

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. Jun 22, 2011 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, integrate the exponential function between t=0 and t=2.6 s and multiply by everything else.

Forget exp(t^2/tau^2). exp(x) is e on the x-th power ex. (ex)^2=(ex)*(ex)=e(x+x)=e2x.

ehild

10. Jun 22, 2011 #9
    Oh, okay. Thanks ^.^ I'll try it out and if there's a problem, I'll be back after I try it out a few times! Hopefully I won't have to.

11. Jun 23, 2011 #10
    Okay, I have a problem. This is all of my work:

V= -[itex]\frac{L \mu ln(1+w/d) (I0) exp(-t/\tau)}{2 \pi \tau}[/itex]

V2 = [itex]\frac{L^2 \mu^2 (ln(1+w/d))^2 I0^2 exp(-2t/\tau)}{4 \pi^2 \tau^2}[/itex]

P= [itex]\frac{V^2}{R}[/itex]

[itex]\int P dt[/itex] = Energy = [itex]\frac {L^2 \mu^2 (I0^2) (ln(1+w/d))^2}{4 \pi^2 \tau^2 R}[/itex] * [itex]\int exp(-2t/\tau) dt[/itex]

E= [itex]\frac {L^2 \mu^2 (I0^2) (ln(1+w/d))^2}{4 \pi^2 \tau^2 R^2}[/itex] * [ exp(-2t/tau)*(-tau/2) ]

the boundaries on that is 0 to 2.6 ;
    my answer i got after many times of trying was 2.773358998E-17 J
    What is wrong ?

12. Jun 23, 2011 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not see N (the 2000 turns).

ehild

13. Jun 23, 2011 #12
    Ohhhhh ... *facepalm* I even thought of that but figured that wasn't right so I didn't even try it. Thanks! again!

14. Jun 23, 2011 #13
    Can I just multiply by answer above by N^2 ?

15. Jun 23, 2011 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be enough, but there is some other computational error somewhere. It was not a good idea to square everything separately. Evaluate the constant of V first before squaring. And you can cancel pi as mu=4pi˙10-7.

ehild

16. Jun 24, 2011 #15
    I mean, how do you square it without squaring each thing separately ? ...and what do you mean evaluate the constant of V first?

17. Jun 24, 2011 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is a simple example: evaluate (2*3)2. You can do it by evaluating 2*3 first, then squaring the result: it is 62=36,
    or squaring separately: 22*32=4*9=36.

And I found just now that you divided V^2 by R^2 instead of R.

ehild

18. Jun 24, 2011 #17
    No, I divided by R I dont know why I put R^2. But I got the answer. All I needed to do was multiply by N^2. thanks for the help

19. Jun 24, 2011 #18

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Splendid!
    You are welcome.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook