Energy in a spring-mass system problem

In summary, a horizontal spring-mass system with a low friction and spring stiffness of 250 N/m and 0.4 kg mass is released with an initial compression of 13 cm and an initial speed of 3 m/s. The maximum stretch during the motion is determined by finding the period and dividing it by the energy dissipation rate of 0.02 J per cycle. The resulting joules per second is the amount of energy needed to maintain the oscillation, which is equivalent to the average power input in watts. The formula for finding the period is given by dividing 0.2 by the frequency, which is calculated by dividing the angular frequency (2πf) by 2π. The final answer for the average
lebprince

Homework Statement

A horizontal spring-mass system has low friction, spring stiffness 250 N/m, and mass 0.4 kg. The system is released with an initial compression of the spring of 13 cm and an initial speed of the mass of 3 m/s.
(a) What is the maximum stretch during the motion?

(b) What is the maximum speed during the motion?

(c) Now suppose that there is energy dissipation of 0.02 J per cycle of the spring-mass system. What is the average power input in watts required to maintain a steady oscillation?
watt

The Attempt at a Solution

i was able to solve a and b right but having problems with c. Thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, figure out how long it takes a cycle to happen, (the period) and then divide by 0.02 and this will be the joules dissipated per second.

Then this will be the amount of joules you need to keep pumping into the system to keep it going. (Remember watts is joules per second).

Does that sound reasonable?

Andrusko said:
Well, figure out how long it takes a cycle to happen, (the period) and then divide by 0.02 and this will be the joules dissipated per second.

Then this will be the amount of joules you need to keep pumping into the system to keep it going. (Remember watts is joules per second).

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for your reply. So do i find W which is equal to sqrt(K/m) and from there find the Period and do the rest? Thanks

Yeah. And remember:

[tex] \omega = 2\pi f [/tex]

[tex] T = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]

That should be enough to get to the answer.

Sorry I said before to divide the period by 0.2, I meant divide 0.2 by the period. If you look at it in terms of units:

[tex] \frac{\frac{J}{cycle}}{\frac{s}{cycle}} = \frac{J}{cycle} X \frac{cycle}{s} = \frac{J}{s} [/tex]

Remembering when dividing fractions you just multiply by the inverse of the bottom fraction...

Andrusko said:
Yeah. And remember:

[tex] \omega = 2\pi f [/tex]

[tex] T = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]

That should be enough to get to the answer.

I calculated W = sqrt(250/0.4) and i got 25 for w. Then w = 2*pi*f and got f = w/2*pi = 3.978 then 1/f to get T so T = 0.251 and i divided that by 0.02 and got 12.56 but the answer was incorrect.

Andrusko said:
Sorry I said before to divide the period by 0.2, I meant divide 0.2 by the period. If you look at it in terms of units:

[tex] \frac{\frac{J}{cycle}}{\frac{s}{cycle}} = \frac{J}{cycle} X \frac{cycle}{s} = \frac{J}{s} [/tex]

Remembering when dividing fractions you just multiply by the inverse of the bottom fraction...

Thank you got it

Sorry I misled you... see previous post.

My answer was 0.8 watts.

Andrusko said:
Sorry I misled you... see previous post.

My answer was 0.8 watts.

Thanks man your awsome.

1. What is a spring-mass system?

A spring-mass system is a type of mechanical system that consists of a spring attached to a mass and a fixed point. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force on the mass that causes it to oscillate back and forth.

2. How is energy involved in a spring-mass system?

In a spring-mass system, energy is involved in the form of potential energy stored in the spring and kinetic energy of the oscillating mass. As the mass oscillates, energy is continuously transferred between these two forms.

3. What is the equation for potential energy in a spring-mass system?

The equation for potential energy in a spring-mass system is PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

4. How does the mass affect the energy in a spring-mass system?

The mass affects the energy in a spring-mass system by determining the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. A larger mass will result in a slower oscillation with a larger amplitude, while a smaller mass will result in a faster oscillation with a smaller amplitude.

5. What factors can affect the energy in a spring-mass system?

The energy in a spring-mass system can be affected by factors such as the spring constant, mass, amplitude of oscillation, and any external forces acting on the system. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the total energy of the system.