Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy in accident equation

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    Can someone please tell me what I am suppose to do with c1c2 and 2b in the following equation. I do not know if I am to mulitply, divide, subtract or add.

E= L * (( a /2 ) * ( c1 + c2) + b / 6 * ( c1² + c1c2 + c2² ) + ( a² / 2b))

Where: L = 1
    a=375
    b=45
    c1=.33
    c2=.33

My answer comes out to 62.205 but I do not know if this is right because I do not know what this c1c2 and 2b means.
    Thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

c1c2 means c1 multiplied by c2. 2b means 2 multiplied by b. Is that what you were after?

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    Yes, that is exactly what I needed to know. It sure made a difference in my answer.......now I come up with E = 1726.66675 I sure do hope this is right. I am not a student and there is no way to check my findings.
    Cristo....thanks very much for the prompt reply, this is very important to me....thank you.

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're welcome. In general, whenever you see a combination "ab", it always means a multiplied by b; that is, for this sort of maths, the multiplication operator is the only one to be omitted in this way.

6. Jan 31, 2007 #5
    Thanks again cristo.....this is a lesson I will never forget.......thank you very much. ~ Probie

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook