Energy in an Electric Field of an EM Wave

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find an equation that relates the energy in an electric field to the wavelength or frequency of an electromagnetic wave. The participants discuss the relationship between wavelength and intensity of the wave, and how the energy in the electric field can be calculated using the permittivity of free space and the electric field strength squared. They also mention equations for energy in the wave and the electric field, and discuss the use of test charges and Maxwell's equations. Finally, a link is provided for further information and the conversation concludes with a mention of using the equation E=V/d to solve the problem.
bobsalive
I have been desperately trying to find an equation (or a set of equations where I can derive an equation) that shows a relationship between the energy in an electric field and the wavelength or frequency of an electromagnetic wave.

I am trying to show a relationship between Wavelength and Intensity of an electromagnetic wave, and working backwards, the Intensity is proportional to the Energy Density of the wave, half of which is the electric energy density, which can be calculated by multiply the permittivity of free space with the energy in the electric field squared. But I can't find the equation for energy in the electric field (in relation to wavelength)! Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
E = hf

That is the energy in the wave, not the energy in the electric field! There is energy in the magnetic field as well isn't there?

have a look at this
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~lee/P54/energy.pdf

In classical electromagnetics I think the energy is related directly to the Intensity (or field strength squared) independent of wavelength, this is because the average of a sinusoid is independent of its period.

However in the quantum limit the energy of a photon is directly related to the wavelength by [tex]E = \hbar f [/tex] as mentioned previously

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks lanedance for the link. I read it, and I've already covered the stuff in that page, what I am trying to find is an equation that will tell me what E equals (E as in the electric field strength, NOT the energy of the wave).

A photon does not have a charge, so E = f/q is an inappropriate equation...

Edit: I know that I = uc, and because u = εE^2, I = cεE^2. But what does the E equal?

I'm not totally sure what you're asking...:uhh:

The field E(x,t) is an allowable solution of the wave equation generated from maxwells equations

One allowable example of a plane wave propogating in the x dir'n with frequency [tex] \omega [/tex] would be
[tex] E(x,t) = (0,E_y,0) [/tex]with [tex] E_y (x,t) = E_0 \cos{(kx -\omega t)}[/tex]
[tex] B(x,t) = (0,0,B_z) [/tex]with [tex] B_z (x,t) = B_0 \cos{(kx -\omega t)}[/tex]

with magnetic & electric field strengths related by:
[tex] B_0 = \frac{E_0}{c} [/tex]

bobsalive said:
Thanks lanedance for the link. I read it, and I've already covered the stuff in that page, what I am trying to find is an equation that will tell me what E equals (E as in the electric field strength, NOT the energy of the wave).

A photon does not have a charge, so E = f/q is an inappropriate equation...
the E is in fact the electric field.. so if we palced a test charge q in the electric field it would experience a force F = Eq

is this what you mean?

bobsalive said:
Edit: I know that I = uc, and because u = εE^2, I = cεE^2. But what does the E equal?

I'm not sure about maxwell's equations, but I think I've sorted out the problem by using E=V/d (Electric Field = Voltage / Distance) which has provided me a suitable answer.

Thanks for all your help!

This might help too ... (from
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequ...etic_fieldmemo/electromagnetic.html#section_3 )

Pd = E x H
Watts/meter2 = Volts/meter x Amperes/meter

where
Pd = the power density,
E = the electric field strength in volts per meter,
H = the magnetic field strength in amperes per meter.

The above equation yields units of W/m2. The units of mW/cm2 are more often used when making surveys. One mW/cm2 is the same power density as 10 W/m2 The following equation can be used to obtain these units directly:

Pd = 0.1 x E x H mW/cm2

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electric field in an EM wave?

The electric field in an EM wave is a type of energy that is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. It is a fundamental component of an EM wave and is responsible for the transmission of energy through space.

2. How is energy transferred in an electric field of an EM wave?

The electric field in an EM wave transfers energy through a process called electromagnetic induction. As the electric field oscillates, it creates a magnetic field, which in turn creates an electric field in another location. This process allows energy to be transferred from one location to another.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in an EM wave?

The strength of the electric field in an EM wave is affected by the amplitude of the wave, the frequency of the wave, and the distance from the source of the wave. The closer the observer is to the source, the stronger the electric field will be.

4. How does the electric field in an EM wave interact with matter?

The electric field in an EM wave can interact with charged particles in matter, causing them to move and transfer energy. This is how EM waves can heat objects or cause electric currents to flow. The interaction between the electric field and matter depends on the properties of the material and the frequency of the wave.

5. What is the relationship between the electric field and the magnetic field in an EM wave?

The electric and magnetic fields in an EM wave are perpendicular to each other and work together to transfer energy. As the electric field oscillates, it creates a magnetic field, and as the magnetic field oscillates, it creates an electric field. This continuous cycle allows for the propagation of energy through space.