How Do You Calculate Energy Delivered to an Inductor Over Time?

In summary, an inductor is an electrical component that stores and releases energy in the form of a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through it, a magnetic field is created and energy is stored. The relationship between inductance and energy determines how much energy can be stored. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field collapses and the energy is released, potentially causing a voltage spike. The energy stored in an inductor can be used in various applications, such as smoothing out voltage fluctuations, creating oscillations, and transferring energy between different circuits.
sinned4789

Homework Statement

the current through an element is i = 2t^2 - 1 Amps. if that element is a 4H inductor, what is the energy delivered to it from time t=1 to t=3.

Homework Equations

energy in an inductor is dw = Li di

The Attempt at a Solution

i = 2t^2 - 1
di = 4t dt
w = L integral[ (2t^2 - 1)(4t) dt ] from 1 to 3 seconds

i just want to confirm it with someone if i did it right or not. i felt like i did. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, that's right

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores and releases energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coiled wire and is a fundamental element in many electronic circuits.

How does energy flow through an inductor?

When an electric current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field stores energy, which is then released when the current is interrupted or changes direction.

What is the relationship between inductance and energy?

Inductance is the property of an inductor that determines how much energy can be stored in its magnetic field. A higher inductance value means more energy can be stored, and vice versa.

What happens to energy in an inductor when the current is turned off?

When the current in an inductor is turned off, the magnetic field collapses, and the energy is released back into the circuit. This can cause a temporary voltage spike, which can potentially damage other components in the circuit.

How can energy in an inductor be used?

The energy stored in an inductor can be used in a variety of applications, such as in power supplies to smooth out voltage fluctuations or in electronic circuits to create oscillations. It can also be used in transformers to transfer energy between different circuits with different voltage levels.