Energy in Circuit between load

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the energy exchanged between a voltage source and a load consisting of a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. The book answer for the energy exchanged between the source and load is 0.0962J, while the energy between the inductor and capacitor is 0.144J. However, it is believed that the book made a mistake in calculating Z_eq. The correct approach is to find Z_eq by adding the admittance of the components and then inverting it. The energy of the inductor and capacitor can be calculated using their respective equations. Finally, the energy exchanged between the load and source is found to be 0.001J.
Trooko

Homework Statement

All components arranged parallel,

voltage source =10sqrt(2)cos(2000t)
10 ohm resistor, 10mH inductor, 15 microF
How much energy is exchanged between the source and the load? (book answer: 0.0962J) Between the capacitor and the inductor? (0.144J)

But I think the book answer made a mistake in getting Z_eq which gave the wrong anwer. I think they left Z_eq invert and used it as Z_eq in calculation

Homework Equations

I_p = V_p / Z_eq
S =0.5 (V_P) (I_P*) -> giving a complex solution, where the real is P and I am is Q

Between source and load: W = Q/omega
Energy in inductor W = (0.5)( L )(I_P)^2
energy in capacitor W = (.5) (C) (V_p)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the Z_eq by adding the admittance of the components, then invert it giving 9.8 with degree 11.3

Find I with the equation above 1.02 sqrt(2) degree -11.3

Find S giving Real(10) + Im(2) -> p=10 Q = 2

Energy between load and source: using omega = 2000 -> W = 2/1000 = 0.001

Energy between capacitor and inductor: I think it should be the energy of the inductor plus capacitor

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the load supposed to be the whole network, the resistor, or something else? Also, I think you are correct that it wants the energy of the inductor plus the capacitor.

Yes, The load consist of the resister, inductor and capacitor.

1. What is the definition of "energy" in the context of a circuit between load?

Energy in a circuit between load refers to the amount of electrical energy that is being transferred from a power source to a load, such as a light bulb or motor.

2. How is energy measured in a circuit between load?

The unit of measurement for energy in a circuit is joules (J). It can also be measured in watt-hours (Wh) or kilowatt-hours (kWh).

3. What factors affect the amount of energy in a circuit between load?

The amount of energy in a circuit between load can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the load, and the current flowing through the circuit.

4. How is energy conserved in a circuit between load?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed in a circuit between load. It can only be converted from one form to another, such as electrical energy being converted to light energy in a light bulb.

5. What are some common ways to increase energy efficiency in a circuit between load?

To increase energy efficiency in a circuit between load, one can use components with lower resistance, reduce the length of the circuit, and use insulation to minimize energy loss. Additionally, using energy-efficient appliances and turning off electronics when not in use can also help conserve energy in a circuit between load.