1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in Circuit between load

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    All components arranged parallel,

voltage source =10sqrt(2)cos(2000t)
    10 ohm resistor, 10mH inductor, 15 microF
    How much energy is exchanged between the source and the load? (book answer: 0.0962J) Between the capacitor and the inductor? (0.144J)

But I think the book answer made a mistake in getting Z_eq which gave the wrong anwer. I think they left Z_eq invert and used it as Z_eq in calculation

2. Relevant equations
    I_p = V_p / Z_eq
    S =0.5 (V_P) (I_P*) -> giving a complex solution, where the real is P and im is Q

Between source and load: W = Q/omega
    Energy in inductor W = (0.5)( L )(I_P)^2
    energy in capacitor W = (.5) (C) (V_p)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Find the Z_eq by adding the admittance of the components, then invert it giving 9.8 with degree 11.3

Find I with the equation above 1.02 sqrt(2) degree -11.3

Find S giving Real(10) + Im(2) -> p=10 Q = 2

Energy between load and source: using omega = 2000 -> W = 2/1000 = 0.001

Energy between capacitor and inductor: I think it should be the energy of the inductor plus capacitor
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2007 #2
    Is the load supposed to be the whole network, the resistor, or something else? Also, I think you are correct that it wants the energy of the inductor plus the capacitor.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #3
    Yes, The load consist of the resister, inductor and capacitor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?