How much energy does wind contribute to the Earth's atmosphere?

• Thread starter Kmenex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the energetic nature of wind in the atmosphere and the difficulty in quantifying its energy. The main focus is on the fact that most of the wind's energy is dissipated as frictional heat, and only a small amount is used for physical work. Suggestions are made to estimate the amount of energy in all of the wind on Earth in a single day, including looking at mean wind speed and using tropical cyclones as a basis.
Kmenex
Energy in --> Energy Out

I'm looking at an idea exploring the nature of the atmosphere and weather patterns.

The number of variables is truly staggering.

In want to know if anyone here knows how energetic the atmosphere is in terms of wind.

It seems that wind is essentially the process of moving high and low pressures. What i am looking for is some type of quantity that averages out the amount of energy in all of the wind on Earth in a single day. So i guess you would take the amount of work done via the movement of the gases and constituents and then relate that to the "potential energy" of a day in terms of wind force.

Any suggestions?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Most of the winds energy is dissipated as frictional heat, not physical work.

Xnn said:
Most of the winds energy is dissipated as frictional heat, not physical work.
I'll take that a step further: most of the wind energy that does physical work is still dissipated as frictional heat!

... or, you can look for a "mean wind speed" for the atmosphere as a whole, square it, and multiply by half the mass.

Isn't there work done in the creation of heat via friction?

EDIT: i guess that's what russ is saying...

Last edited:

If you're after an order-of-magnitude estimate, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone#Mechanics" might do as a basis:

[A] tropical cyclone releases heat energy at the rate of 50 to 200 exajoules (1018 J) per day, equivalent to about 1 PW (1015 watt).

Just needs scaling from one storm to the atmosphere as a whole, but the other necessary stats shouldn't be hard to find.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "Energy in -> Energy Out" mean?

"Energy in -> Energy Out" refers to the concept of energy balance, or the balance between the amount of energy consumed (energy in) and the amount of energy expended (energy out). This balance is important for maintaining a healthy weight and overall health.

2. How does the body use energy?

The body uses energy for various functions such as breathing, digestion, physical activity, and maintaining body temperature. Even when we are at rest, our bodies require energy for basic functions such as circulating blood and repairing cells.

3. What factors affect energy balance?

Several factors can affect energy balance, including diet, physical activity levels, genetics, and certain medical conditions. Consuming more calories than we expend leads to a positive energy balance and can result in weight gain, while expending more calories than we consume leads to a negative energy balance and can result in weight loss.

4. How can I achieve a healthy energy balance?

To achieve a healthy energy balance, it is important to have a balanced diet with a variety of nutrient-dense foods and to engage in regular physical activity. It is also important to listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues and avoid overeating or restricting food intake too much.

5. Can an imbalance in energy in -> energy out lead to health problems?

Yes, an imbalance in energy in -> energy out can lead to health problems. Consuming more calories than we expend can lead to weight gain and increase the risk of obesity and chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease. On the other hand, expending more calories than we consume can lead to weight loss and potentially lead to nutrient deficiencies and other health issues if not done in a balanced and sustainable manner.