Does a decreasing current create an induced electric field in a magnetic field?

In summary: Because without induction, our world would be a very dangerous place. Without induction, energy would flow freely through any wire, and we would have no current technology. Induction is what allows us to power devices with electrons flowing through a wire, instead of using direct current.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi all, I have a question.

Suppose you have a device that makes a current pass through a linear "rod":

I -->
(+)---------------------(-)

Now say you start diminishing the current at a rate -dI/dt. Does an induced electric field appears in the direction of the current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

By device do you mean a current source? i.e. a battery or such like?

The electric field will appear radially outwards from the 'rod'.

Regards

Tom

I was thinking more along the lines of a long straw and someone hired to blow charges in it. :smile:

When we have a current loop of inductance L and you diminish the current at a rate of -dI/dt, the magnetic flux thorugh the loop changes, and that induces an electric field which acts as an electromotive force of magnitude LdI/dt. Does the analogue happens with a linear curent? I.e. is there an induced electric field in the direction of the current?

Last edited:
The answer is no. The induced current from the collapsing magnetic field is OPPOSITE of the direction of the electrical current in the wire which created the field. This is called inductive impeadance.

The answer is yes.
1) I produces a B ( except I=0 )
2) Dimishing I ( that means too : dimishing B ) pruduces an E
at EVERY point in space, specially nearly at once near the current.

BUT REMEMBER : Charges can also be Photons ( QED ) without charge.

Appendix:
I said, Weizäcker's Theory is wrong, but the American Mr. Jearl Walker says, he was right.

Thanks abc33333333, the contrary would have surprised me. In fact, your confirmation gave me the courage to find exactly why it is true from the maxwell's equations. From the geometry of the electrostatic field of the straight wire and the geometric definition of curl, I found that when B changes, the electric field must have a component in the direction parallel (or antiparallel) to the current, and that component must be bigger near the wire.

I was going to follow that question with one concerning the energy in the magnetic field but I found a satisfying answer.

quasar987

That's why inductance in a circuit create larger sparks when the circuit is cut.
The induced emf opposes the current reduction, fortunately for our world.

Michel

why do you say "fortunately" ?

1. How is energy stored in a magnetic field?

Energy is stored in a magnetic field through the alignment and movement of magnetic particles. When a magnetic field is created, the particles within it align in a specific direction, and when the field changes, the particles move, creating energy.

2. What is the relationship between energy and magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields and energy are closely related, as the movement of magnetic particles within a magnetic field creates energy. Additionally, changing magnetic fields can induce electrical currents, which can also produce energy.

3. Can magnetic fields be used to generate electricity?

Yes, magnetic fields can be used to generate electricity through a process called electromagnetic induction. This involves moving a conductor, such as a wire, through a magnetic field, which creates an electric current.

4. How do magnetic fields affect energy transfer?

Magnetic fields can affect energy transfer by inducing electrical currents, which can then be used to transfer energy. They can also be used to control the flow of energy, such as in transformers.

5. How can we harness energy from magnetic fields?

Energy from magnetic fields can be harnessed through various methods such as electromagnetic induction, which is commonly used in generators and motors. Additionally, technologies such as magnetic levitation can also harness energy from magnetic fields.