Is the concept of binding energy in nuclear reactions contradictory?

In summary, binding energy is the mechanical energy required to disassemble a whole into separate parts. A bound system typically has a lower potential energy than the sum of its constituent parts, resulting in the release of energy. However, the newly formed nucleus is more stable and has more binding energy than the pre-reaction nucleus, leading to confusion about how energy can be released. This is because binding energy is always negative and "more binding energy" actually means "more negative." The other explanations provided also offer valid perspectives on the concept of binding energy. Binding energy is commonly measured in units of MeV/atom or MeV/nucleon.
eroxore
Hello forum.

So the other day I was pondering properties of atomic nucleus, in particular the property of binding energy (mass defect). Whenever a nucleus -- through a nuclear reaction of some sort -- is split or joined into a more stable nucleus, energy is released. However the newly formed nucleus which is more stable has more binding energy than the nucleus from which it formed. How can we then say that energy is released? Is it not rather contradictory? The binding energy grew post-reaction, but should it not have decreased since energy was released?

(Maybe I am just interpreting binding energy incorrectly, since it essentially just measures the change in mass in nucleons in a free versus bounded state and therefore does not necessarily have anything to do with the pre-reaction nucleus).

If we look at masses-per-nucleon, this problem can be intuitively explained: The newly formed and more stable nucleus has less mass-per-nucleon than the nucleus from which it formed. According to E = mc^2, that means that the new nucleus cumulatively has less energy than the pre-reaction nucleus in terms of the masses of the elementary particles. Thus one realizes the nucleons lost energy during the reaction and one can reasonably conclude that lost energy was the energy released in the reaction.

Another perspective on the same problem is that "less stable" can be interpreted as "more/highly energized". So if a nucleus joins/splits into a more stable one, we can conclude that this "excess" (if you will) energy prior to the reaction has been released throughout the reaction. So this is why for example iron will not spontaneously join/split into any other nucleus. It is because iron is as stable is at gets (for all intents and purposes) and in order for iron to form a less-stable nucleus (i.e. more energized nucleus), energy must be inserted externally into the system.

Much appreciated if anyone could help me understand how the increasing of binding energy despite releasing energy throughout the reaction is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
Binding energy is always negative (you need energy to split the atoms into protons and neutrons), and "more binding energy" / "larger binding energy" ... always means "more negative" (more energy is needed to separate them).

Edit: Clarified

Last edited:
mfb said:
Binding energy is always negative, and "more binding energy" / "larger binding energy" ... always means "more negative".

What, really? I have never heard of that, care to elaborate? Also, what are your thoughts on the other two explanations I presented?

eroxore said:
What, really? I have never heard of that, care to elaborate? Also, what are your thoughts on the other two explanations I presented?

Per wiki:

Binding energy is the mechanical energy required to disassemble a whole into separate parts. A bound system typically has a lower potential energy than the sum of its constituent parts — this is what keeps the system together. Often this means that energy is released upon the creation of a bound state. This definition corresponds to a positive binding energy. (This definition also often causes confusion. For example: A prominent term in chemistry is the 'free energy of binding', which is the difference between the bound and unbound states and thus negative).

And your explanations are more or less correct. A higher binding energy per nucleon means that it takes MORE energy per nucleon to disassemble the nucleus.

Suppose you have a boulder sitting on top of a cliff. If you give the boulder a little nudge, it will fall off the cliff. When it hits the ground, it releases energy (heat, sound, etc). It is now more stable, because giving it a nudge can't cause it to fall any further, it's at the bottom and has nowhere else to go. The boulder at the bottom of the cliff is also now more tightly bound to the earth. If you wanted to launch the boulder out of Earth's gravitational influence, it would take more energy to do so starting from the bottom of the cliff than the top.

Excellent responses, I believe I have finally grasped it intuitively. Thanks!

Question: Is binding energy measured in Joules/Mole? I'm having wikipedia issues...

It is possible to express binding energy in Joule/Mole, but that is a very unconventional unit for nuclear physics. MeV/atom or MeV/nucleon are more common.

What is nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy is the energy released during nuclear reactions, either through the splitting (fission) or combining (fusion) of atomic nuclei. This energy is harnessed to generate electricity, power spacecraft, and other applications.

How is nuclear energy produced?

Nuclear energy is produced through nuclear reactions, which involve the manipulation of the energy stored within the atomic nuclei. In fission, the nuclei of large atoms are split into smaller fragments, releasing energy. In fusion, the nuclei of small atoms are combined to form larger ones, also releasing energy.

What are the advantages of nuclear energy?

There are several advantages to using nuclear energy. It is a reliable and consistent source of energy, with a high energy density and low carbon emissions. It also has a low impact on the environment compared to traditional forms of energy, such as coal or oil.

What are the potential risks of nuclear energy?

While nuclear energy has many benefits, there are also potential risks associated with it. Nuclear reactors and waste can be hazardous if not managed properly, and accidents can have serious consequences. There is also the concern of nuclear proliferation and the risk of nuclear weapons development.

How is nuclear energy regulated?

Nuclear energy is heavily regulated by government agencies to ensure safety and security. In the United States, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) oversees the use of nuclear energy and sets strict standards for reactor design, operation, and waste management. International organizations like the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) also play a role in regulating nuclear energy on a global scale.