Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in orbital motion

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    Hey, so I have a question about motions of planets and their energy basically.

When we have a circular orbit, why is it that the kinetic energy is just the opposite of potential energy? (Assuming it's a closed orbit)

Like if we have U = something, than the kinetic energy T = -1/2U? This would be saying the kinetic energy doesn't change for a circular orbit but the potential energy does, and than I would think this would be a parabolic orbit as energy would then equal to 0 and epsilon (eccentricity) is equal to 1.

I hope that made sense, I'm having trouble understanding such motion.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you followed the derivation?
    http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l24/node1.html [Broken]

No - if U changes, the T will also change. If U does not change, then neither does T.
    Note: that should be T=-(1/2)U

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Feb 25, 2015 #3
    Interesting, because recently I did a problem, for which the kinetic energy remained the same and the potential energy had changed, so that is where most of the confusion comes from.

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is possible T to remain the same and for U to change - this happens, for eg, when you lift an object at a constant speed - I'm not saying that cannot happen. I am saying that the relation T=-(1/2)U does not indicate that either U or T will change or remain the same. Instead it tells you the relationship between U and T for a circular orbit.
    See the link in post #2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook