Is Kinetic Energy Equal to Negative Potential Energy in Circular Orbital Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between kinetic and potential energy in circular orbits. It is noted that according to the equation T=-(1/2)U, if the potential energy changes, the kinetic energy will also change. However, it is possible for T to remain the same while U changes, such as when lifting an object at a constant speed. The provided link offers further explanation on this topic.
oldspice1212
Hey, so I have a question about motions of planets and their energy basically.

When we have a circular orbit, why is it that the kinetic energy is just the opposite of potential energy? (Assuming it's a closed orbit)

Like if we have U = something, than the kinetic energy T = -1/2U? This would be saying the kinetic energy doesn't change for a circular orbit but the potential energy does, and than I would think this would be a parabolic orbit as energy would then equal to 0 and epsilon (eccentricity) is equal to 1.

I hope that made sense, I'm having trouble understanding such motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
When we have a circular orbit, why is it that the kinetic energy is just the opposite of potential energy? (Assuming it's a closed orbit)
Have you followed the derivation?
http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l24/node1.html

Like if we have U = something, than the kinetic energy T = -1/2U? This would be saying the kinetic energy doesn't change for a circular orbit but the potential energy does...
No - if U changes, the T will also change. If U does not change, then neither does T.
Note: that should be T=-(1/2)U

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, because recently I did a problem, for which the kinetic energy remained the same and the potential energy had changed, so that is where most of the confusion comes from.

It is possible T to remain the same and for U to change - this happens, for eg, when you lift an object at a constant speed - I'm not saying that cannot happen. I am saying that the relation T=-(1/2)U does not indicate that either U or T will change or remain the same. Instead it tells you the relationship between U and T for a circular orbit.
See the link in post #2.

Likes oldspice1212

1. What is orbital energy?

Orbital energy is the energy associated with the motion of an object in orbit around another object, such as a planet orbiting a star. It includes both kinetic energy (related to the object's velocity) and potential energy (related to the object's distance from the center of mass).

2. How is orbital energy related to orbital speed?

The orbital energy of an object is directly related to its orbital speed. As the speed of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases, leading to a higher orbital energy. This means that an object with a higher orbital speed will have a larger orbital energy than an object with a lower orbital speed.

3. What factors affect the orbital energy of an object?

The orbital energy of an object is affected by its mass, the mass of the object it is orbiting, and the distance between the two objects. The larger the mass of the objects or the closer their distance, the greater the orbital energy will be.

4. How does orbital energy influence the stability of an orbit?

The orbital energy of an object is directly related to the stability of its orbit. An object with a higher orbital energy will have a more elliptical orbit, while an object with a lower orbital energy will have a more circular orbit. A circular orbit is more stable than an elliptical orbit, as the object is less likely to be pulled out of orbit by external forces.

5. Can orbital energy be changed?

Yes, orbital energy can be changed through various mechanisms such as gravitational interactions with other objects, atmospheric drag, or propulsion systems. Objects in orbit can gain or lose energy, which can lead to changes in their orbit, such as a higher or lower altitude or a change in their orbital speed.