Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in sound waves?

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1
    Is it possible (or even practical) to create a device that can harness the power of sound waves?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2
    Durran,

Ever hear of a microphone? :-)

4. Jan 7, 2005 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as I know usual sound waves have little energy. The sound power exerted by a complete football stadium roughly mades a cup of tea.

I don't remember, but I think that in General Engineering forum there is a thread about sound power used in freezing machines. Take a look at there.

5. Jan 8, 2005 #4
    You need to increase the gain of a signal on a microphone though?

As for harnessing sound waves...try shouting at a windmill :rofl:

6. Jan 9, 2005 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Useless fact: If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

7. Jan 9, 2005 #6

Mk

8. Jan 9, 2005 #7
    kirovman

"You need to increase the gain of a signal on a microphone though?"

You mean you need to amplify it? Not if all you're trying to do is "harness the power of sound waves" which was what the original question was about.

9. Jan 10, 2005 #8
    more relevant, but perhaps still useless fact: a trained opera singer could yell a tone resonant with the cup & coffee and shatter it in <60 seconds.

10. Jan 10, 2005 #9
    There is a pseudoscience theory that suggests that the Giza Pyramids were built to capture and amplify the resonance of the earth to generate electricty. The author's name is Christopher Dunn and the book was "The Giza Power Plant." Interesting details about the pryamids in that book, even if the theory is unproven, or hairbrained.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?