Energy in sound waves?

• Thread starter Durran
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is it possible (or even practical) to create a device that can harness the power of sound waves?

Answers and Replies

Durran,

Ever hear of a microphone? :-)

Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As far as I know usual sound waves have little energy. The sound power exerted by a complete football stadium roughly mades a cup of tea.

I don't remember, but I think that in General Engineering forum there is a thread about sound power used in freezing machines. Take a look at there.

jdavel said:
Durran,

Ever hear of a microphone? :-)
You need to increase the gain of a signal on a microphone though?

As for harnessing sound waves...try shouting at a windmill :rofl:

Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Useless fact: If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

Mk
kirovman

"You need to increase the gain of a signal on a microphone though?"

You mean you need to amplify it? Not if all you're trying to do is "harness the power of sound waves" which was what the original question was about.

T.Roc
more relevant, but perhaps still useless fact: a trained opera singer could yell a tone resonant with the cup & coffee and shatter it in <60 seconds.

There is a pseudoscience theory that suggests that the Giza Pyramids were built to capture and amplify the resonance of the earth to generate electricty. The author's name is Christopher Dunn and the book was "The Giza Power Plant." Interesting details about the pryamids in that book, even if the theory is unproven, or hairbrained.