Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in the punch

1. Dec 25, 2003 #1

Nim

Anyone have an idea of how much energy is transfered to someone or something when someone punches them or it? I know this can vary a lot, but does anyone have any numbers? I came across one website that said something like the "average force of a focused Sieken (punch)" delivers 700 foot-pounds, whatever a Sieken punch is, I don't know. I came across another website that talked about some people who recorded the energy delivered to a punching bag by their boxing team. I wasn't familier with the units though, I think it was "1,064 pound impulses" from one of their guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2003 #2
    It should be easy to measure, or estimate if you're familair with some common equipment. First, remember that
    [tex]E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
    Now, assume a punching bag of mass m hanging motionless being hit with a punch (and I'm thinking of one of those big cylindrical sand filled punching bags, not the small teardrop shaped ones). How fast is the bag moving after it's hit with a punch? That's all you need to know.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?