This is the question which is asked in this content.

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the energy in an orbit and the difficulties the speaker is having with understanding and remembering the process. They mention trying to use integration by parts but not getting the correct answer and searching online for help. They also mention being confused about the final step, which involves using eq 33 to manipulate the equations and solve for C in terms of m1, m2, and E.
UniPhysics90
I'm trying to derive the energy in an orbit and don't quite understand it (which makes remembering it pretty difficult for exams!)

I've put parts of my notes relating to this below.

My first problem is with the integration (2nd equation to 3rd equation). I've tried using integration by parts, but cannot get this answer. I've tried searching on the internet for the answer, but can't find it.

My next problem is the final step, getting to C=E((m1+m2)/m1m2). It says using eq 33, which is the equation after 'Integrating' (the third equation in the list). I don't understand how this is related at all?

Thanks in advance for any help, this has got me totally confused!

[PLAIN]http://img718.imageshack.us/i/energy1.png[PLAIN]http://img151.imageshack.us/i/energy2.png

http://img718.imageshack.us/i/energy1.png
http://img151.imageshack.us/i/energy2.png

Sorry about the links, can't get it to show the pictures in the post

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
UniPhysics90 said:
(2nd equation to 3rd equation). I've tried using integration by parts, but cannot get this answer.
Please show your steps so we can see if you did anything wrong.
UniPhysics90 said:
My next problem is the final step, getting to C=E((m1+m2)/m1m2). It says using eq 33, which is the equation after 'Integrating' (the third equation in the list). I don't understand how this is related at all?
It is a matter of algebraic manipulation. The last two equations on the energy1.png page can be combined and to solve for C in terms of m1, m2, and E. Is there a relationship between [tex]$\mu$[/tex], m1, and m2?

1. What is meant by "Energy in two body orbits"?

"Energy in two body orbits" refers to the amount of energy required to maintain the motion of two bodies, such as a planet and its orbiting moon, in orbit around each other. This energy is a combination of the potential energy and kinetic energy of the two bodies.

2. How is energy conserved in two body orbits?

Energy is conserved in two body orbits through the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of two body orbits, the potential energy of the system is converted into kinetic energy as the bodies move closer together, and vice versa as they move farther apart.

3. What is the relationship between energy and the shape of two body orbits?

The shape of a two body orbit is determined by the amount of energy in the system. In a circular orbit, the energy is balanced between the potential and kinetic energy, resulting in a constant distance between the two bodies. In an elliptical orbit, the energy varies as the distance between the bodies changes, with the greatest energy at the closest approach and the least energy at the farthest point.

4. How does the energy in two body orbits affect the speed of the bodies?

The energy in two body orbits determines the speed of the bodies as they move in their orbits. As the bodies move closer together, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the bodies to accelerate towards each other. As they move farther apart, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy, causing the bodies to slow down.

5. Can the energy in two body orbits change over time?

Yes, the energy in two body orbits can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other bodies or external forces acting on the system. However, the total energy of the system will always remain constant, as per the law of conservation of energy.