1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Job

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    I am a senior in college and want to work in the field of energy, either oil or nuclear. I was wondering what the best major would be? I was thinking oceanography, geology or physics. I was thinking oceanography because I want to work with the ocean in someway, how can I do this? How is the Millersville Physics program? Also what would one have to do to become a geophysicist?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    That depends on whether or not you go with oil or nuclear, since they have different requirements. If you want to do R&D with nuclear then physics (with a focus of nuclear physics) is better. Oceanography is really only useful for off shore oil exploration, if that. geology is useful for both nuclear (if you want to go Uranium hunting) and oil.
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    Can a physics degree also be applied to the oil field? I just do not know what I want to do yet. I like physics and geology the same and I guess its just about the job opportunites that will be avaliable after college. Do you think a double major in physics and geology be too much?
  5. Nov 18, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... aren't you a bit too late to decide on a major? You said you are a senior in college, didn't you?

6. Nov 18, 2008 #5
    Good catch, I meant I am a senior in High School. Thanks
  7. Nov 18, 2008 #6

Science Advisor

As far the oil industry goes, Petroleum, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering are all useful. Traditionally, Petroleum Engineers have filled a lot of the billets in the offshore exploration business. Also Geophysicists are in demand as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?