Energy Level Diagram Homework: Get Started!

In summary, a monatomic gas is illuminated with visible light of wavelength 400nm. The gas absorbs some of the light and emits visible light of both 400nm and 600nm. The initial state of the atoms is -5.0 eV and the ionized atom has continuous energy levels at 0 eV. To answer the question, one can use the equation E=hv, where E is the energy of a photon, h is Planck's constant, and v is the frequency of the light. Different frequencies of light will be absorbed, with the highest being the energy required to ionize the atom at 5eV. Radiation is emitted when an electron changes to a lower energy orbital, and this can be
velvetymoogle

Homework Statement

A monatomic gas is illuminated with visible light of wavelength 400nm. The gas is observed to absorb some of the light and subsequently emit visible light of both 400nm and 600nm. The initial state is -5.0 eV and the ionized atom (continuous energy levels) is 0 eV.
a) Draw the situation.
b) If the inital state of the atoms has energy -5 eV, what is the energy of the state to which the atoms were excited by the 400nm light?
c) At which other wavelength(s) outside the human visible range do these atoms emit radiation after they are excited by the 400nm light?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't in class when my teacher covered the material, and it's not in the book.
Can someone at least just get me started, explaining the drawing and what equations I should use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Anyone?

try a post on the chemistry board.

But it's physics, AP physics actually. I've asked a few chem buds and they don't get it.

well you can calculate the energy of the photon from e=hv where v=frequency and of course c=f*lambda, different frequencies will be absorbed, the highest being that required to strip the electron (ionize) away= 5eV; alternatively, radiation is emitted in the form of a photon when an electron changes to a lower energy orbital. there should be scads of material online covering this as well as the calculations of these. here's one of hundreds: http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~soper/Light/atomspectra.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an energy level diagram?

An energy level diagram is a visual representation of the energy levels or orbitals of an atom or molecule. It shows the relative energies of these levels and how electrons move between them.

2. Why are energy level diagrams important?

Energy level diagrams are important because they help us understand the electronic structure and behavior of atoms and molecules. They also allow us to predict and explain the properties and reactivities of different substances.

3. How do you read an energy level diagram?

An energy level diagram is read from bottom to top, with the lowest energy levels at the bottom and the highest energy levels at the top. The arrows represent the movement of electrons, with upward arrows indicating the absorption of energy and downward arrows indicating the release of energy.

4. What is the purpose of energy level diagram homework?

The purpose of energy level diagram homework is to help students practice interpreting and drawing energy level diagrams, which is an important skill in understanding and studying chemistry. It also allows students to apply their knowledge of energy levels to real-life examples and scenarios.

5. How can I get started with my energy level diagram homework?

To get started with your energy level diagram homework, make sure you have a clear understanding of the concept and any relevant equations. Then, carefully read and analyze the given problem or scenario, and use your knowledge to draw an accurate and concise energy level diagram. Double check your work and make any necessary corrections before submitting your completed assignment.