Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy Level notation in relation to the Zeeman Effect

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    I am doing an Atomic & Molecular physics course in Germany as part of my year abroad. A notation that is used in this course to denote energy levels is in the form below. I cannot find a good explanation of how it works, (and this may sound stupid) but i cannot find a mention of it in the notes as it was used outright, and has not been named so i am not sure what to look for.

The closest thing i found was this:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/Nuclear/nstate.html" [Broken]

However the form used here is eg. NxPJ
    The number x is unclear, but in all the questions it has 3 for P orbitals, and 4 for D orbitals.
    Can anyone clarify this notation for me, the notes being in German does not help :smile:

The questions on the sheet are about the Zeeman Effect, and one of the things we have to do is calculate the Lande g-factor for the ground state of Magnesium and Boron. My assumption is that (in the aformentioned notation) magnesium is 32S0.5

I initially thought that J should be 0, since Mg has an S sub shell with 2 electrons, so it's total spin should be 0.5 + (-0.5) = 0, and L is also 0. Apparently in this case it is 0.5 i read somewhere, why is this?

However later on the state 3P0 is mentioned, asking how many "components" it would split into in a magnetic field. This time the initial N value is not used, so I am getting really confused.

I have a feeling that the answer is probably quite simple, but the combination of QM (which i am not great at) and the German is making this a big stumbling block.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted