1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy level problem

1. May 28, 2006 #1
    A hydrogen atom, initially at rest in the n = 4 quantum state, undergoes a transition to the ground state, emitting a photon in the process. What is the speed (in terms of m/s) of the recoiling hydrogen atom?

anyone knows what to do? i calculated the energy difference and got 12.75 eV and i calculated the potential energy as well, but i don't know which mass to assign the atom...

any help is appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

(1) What's conserved during the emission?
    (2) You can look up the mass of a hydrogen atom!

4. May 28, 2006 #3

well, that's the thing- the problem doesn't state anything more than I put on there... the mass of a hydrogen atom will be that of 1 proton, but i'm not sure if that's what i should look for...

any thoughts?

5. May 29, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You don't need any more information to solve the problem. What's the answer to my first question? (Hint: In any kind of "explosion", what's conserved?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?