The Energy Levels and Frequency of a Particle: Calculating E, p, and KEmax

In summary: This is where your diagram is wrong. The n=4 state has energy -13.6eV. The photon has energy 3.39x10^-17 eV. For (b), the photon has momentum p. p=(E/c) and c approximately equals 3x10^17. So p=3.39x10^-17. For (c), the work function of silver is 4.7eV. The photon has energy 5.4723eV.
beibixx
Let me know where my logic is off...Much thanks!

so
a)
vyp8k5.jpg

For T1: Transition -54.4-(-13.6) = 40.8 eV
For T2: -13.6 - (-6.04) = 7.56 eV
T3=?
n4 = n3
so
-6.04 + 7.56 = 1.52 eV
T3 = 1.52 eV
n4 = 1.52 eV

b)
E = pc
c = 6.63 x 10^-34 JS
p = E/c
p = 1.52/ 6.63 x 10^-34 JS
p=2.29 x 10^33

c)
KEmax = hf - wo
wo = hf , given wo = 4.7 eV
E = hf , given h = 4.14 x 10^-15 eV

f = E/h
f = (1.52)/(4.14 x 10^-15)
f = 3.67 x 10^14 Hz

KEmax = (4.14 x 10^-15) (3.67 x 10^14) - 4.7eV
KEmax = 1.519 - 4.7
KEmax = -3.18062 ... okay.. doesn't make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
beibixx said:
Let me know where my logic is off...Much thanks!

Firstly, I'm going to assume this is a model of a Hydrogen atom?

Right off the bat, looking at your energy levels they appear to be wrong. You're going to need to use the formula En = -13.6eV/n2

So we can see the energy levels fall into place accoringly:
n = 1, E = -13.6 eV
n = 2, E = -3.4 eV
n = 3, E = -1.5 eV
n = 4, E = -0.85 eV

..and so on.

Now if you want the transitional energies between to states, you'll need to use the following formula:

E = E0(1/n22 - 1/n12) = -13.6eV(1/n22 - 1/n12)

Now after you find the energy of a photon being emitted (or absorbed) by a transition between two states, you want to find the kinetic energy of that photon?

Kinetic energy of a photon is given by h/[tex]\lambda[/tex], where h is Planck's constant. The wavelength of a photon is given by [tex]\lambda[/tex] = hc/E where c is the speed of light, and E is the energy calculated in part a.

Following these steps will yield the correct results, however make sure your units are consistent. If you are using energies in eV make sure your value for plank's constant is 4.135x10-15 eV*s. If you are using J (in which case your energies would have to be multiplied by 1.602x10-19) then your value for Planck's constant should be 6.626x10-34 J*s. Make sure your speed of light is in SI (3x108m/s) and you should be ready to go.

Hope this helps,

cheers

Last edited:
CaptainEvil said:
Firstly, I'm going to assume this is a model of a Hydrogen atom?

Right off the bat, looking at your energy levels they appear to be wrong. You're going to need to use the formula En = -13.6eV/n2

Or it could be a hydrogen-like ion, where

En = -13.6 Z2 eV/n2

Find Z, and you can find the n=4 energy.

The more I look at it, the more I think it wasn't supposed to be a Hydrogen atom. But I tried this. Does it make sense?

The original problem:
1. The diagram above shows the lowest four descrete energy levels of an atom. An electron in the n=4 state makes a transition to the n=2 state, emitting a photon of wavelength 121.9 nm

(a)Calculate the energy level of the n=4 state.
(b)Calbulate the momentum of the photon.

The photon is then incident on a silver surface in a photoelectric experiment, and the surface emits an electron with maximum possible kinetic energy. The work function of the silver is 4.7eV

(c) Calculate the kinetic energy, in eV, of the emitted electron.
34y1c1t.jpg

For part a)
In order to find the energy level I use the equation E = (hc/lambda), with the given wavelength being 121.9nm and hc = 1.24 x 10^3eV*nm
So E = [(121.9nm)/1.24 x 10^3eV*nm)]
E=10.1723

For part b)
E=pc, where p is momentum
Rearranging this I find that p=(E/c)
where c approximately equals 3 x 10^17
so p=(10.173/3 x 10^17)
p=3.39 x 10^-17

For part c)
work function of silver is given as 4.7eV
KEmax=hf-work function
E= hf=pc
so replace hf with E
getting KEmax = E-work function
KEmax = 10.1723 - 4.7
KEmax=5.4723

(b) and (c) look good.

For (a), you found the correct energy of the photon. But the question asks for the energy of the n=4 level.

What is an energy level?

An energy level is a quantized measure of the amount of energy that an atom or molecule possesses. It describes the specific energy state of a system and is often represented by a number or letter, such as the K, L, and M energy levels in atoms.

How are energy levels determined?

Energy levels are determined by the number of electrons in an atom and their distribution among the different orbitals. The energy of an electron in an atom is affected by the electrostatic attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron, as well as by the repulsion between electrons in the same energy level.

What is the relationship between energy levels and electron configuration?

Energy levels directly correspond to the electron configuration of an atom. The electron configuration describes the arrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals, and each energy level can hold a specific number of electrons. For example, the first energy level can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, the second can hold up to 8, and so on.

Can energy levels change?

Yes, energy levels can change. When an atom gains or loses energy, its electrons can move to a higher or lower energy level. This can occur through various processes such as absorption or emission of photons, collision with other particles, or chemical reactions. However, the energy levels themselves are fixed and do not change.

How do energy levels affect the properties of an atom?

The energy level of an atom directly impacts its properties, such as its reactivity and stability. Atoms with filled energy levels are more stable and less reactive, while atoms with partially filled energy levels are more reactive. Additionally, the energy levels of an atom determine its spectral lines, as well as its ionization energy and electron affinity.