1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy levels of hydrogen in atomic units

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    [solved] Energy levels of hydrogen in atomic units

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The effective potential for a hydrogen atom can be thought of as the actual potential plus the centrifugal repulsion, written as:
    [tex]V_{eff} = -\frac{1}{r} + \frac{l (l+1)}{2r^{2}}[/tex]
    Remembering that you are working in atomic units, make a plot of V_eff(r) for l=0,1,2,3. Mark the energy levels for n=2,3,4. Explain why, for a given n, l cannot be larger than n-1.

The attempt at a solution
    I have plotted the potentials for l=0,1,2,3 here: http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plotte7.gif

I used [tex]E=-\frac{1}{n^{2}}[/tex] for the energy levels in atomic units (is this correct?)
    As far as explaining why l <= n-1, I thought that because the energy levels would intersect the curves for l <= n-1 and the potential energies with l>=n would be unbound so that l cannot be larger than n-1. However, this does not seem to be the case from the plot I've constructed. I hope the energies I've used are incorrect, because I can't seem to extract the answer out of my plot??
    Thanks in advance!

I realised the energy levels should be : [tex]E = -\frac{1}{2n^{2}}[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?