What affects the probability of finding a system in the ground state?

In summary, the ground state of a system is not always the most probable state, but it can become the most probable state if the system is allowed to remove energy or there are no external perturbations driving the system away from the ground state.
LagrangeEuler
Is the ground state always most probable state of the system? For example in problem of LHO or potential well?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
Is the ground state always most probable state of the system? For example in problem of LHO or potential well?

In a closed system where the Hamiltonian is time-independent, the system will stay in the same state until it is otherwise perturbed. This is the case for the examples that you provide. Given energy eigenstates [itex]|i\rangle[/itex] with energy eigenvalues [itex]E_i[/itex], we assume that the system is in the state [itex]|\psi(0)\rangle[/itex] at time [itex]t=0[/itex]:

[tex] |\psi(0)\rangle = \sum_i c_i |i\rangle.[/tex]

At a later time, the system will be in the state

[tex] |\psi(t)\rangle = \sum_i c_i e^{-iE_it/\hbar} |i\rangle.[/tex]

The time dependence of the state is completely encoded in phase factors.

The probability that a measurement of the energy finds a particular value [itex]E_i[/itex] (so that we would conclude the system is in the state [itex]|i\rangle[/itex], ignoring degeneracies) is

[tex] P_i(t) = | c_i|^2,[/tex]

which is independent of time.

If the Hamiltonian has a time-dependent part, it can be possible to have transitions between states. Suppose that we add a small perturbation [itex]V(t)[/itex] to the system above. Then we can show that, to first order in the perturbation, the state at time [itex]t[/itex] will be

[tex] |\psi(t)\rangle = \sum_i c_i (t) |i\rangle,[/tex]

[tex] c_i(t) = c_i - \frac{i}{\hbar} \sum_j \int_0^t dt' \langle i | V(t')|j\rangle c_j e^{-i(E_j-E_i)/\hbar}.[/tex]

Whether or not the probability to find the system in the ground state is an increasing or decreasing function depends on the type of perturbation. For instance, the perturbation could be a driving term, where we are pumping energy into the system from the outside. Then the probability to find the system in the ground state would actually decrease with time.

If the system is allowed to remove energy, perhaps by emitting photons, then the system will tend to settle into the ground state if there is nothing else to forbid it.

1. What are energy levels?

Energy levels refer to the specific amount of energy that an electron can have in an atom. These levels are determined by the distance of the electron from the nucleus and can be thought of as "shells" surrounding the nucleus.

2. How are energy levels related to probability?

The energy levels of an atom are directly related to the probability of finding an electron in a certain location around the nucleus. The higher the energy level, the higher the probability of finding an electron in that level. This is due to the fact that electrons with higher energy have a greater range of motion and can occupy a larger space around the nucleus.

3. How do energy levels affect the behavior of atoms?

The energy levels of an atom determine the chemical and physical properties of an element. This is because the arrangement of electrons in the energy levels determines how they interact with other atoms and molecules, which ultimately affects the behavior of the atom.

4. Can energy levels change?

Yes, energy levels can change when an atom absorbs or emits energy. When an atom absorbs energy, its electrons can move to a higher energy level. When an atom emits energy, its electrons can move to a lower energy level.

5. How are energy levels represented in an atom?

Energy levels are represented by the electron configuration of an atom, which is a way of showing how the electrons are arranged in the energy levels. The first energy level can hold up to 2 electrons, the second can hold up to 8, and the third can hold up to 18. The electron configuration follows a specific pattern based on the number of electrons in an atom.