1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy Levels

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    The diagram (see attached) represents some of the energy levels for an atom of a gas.

White light passes through the gas and absorption lines are observed in the spectrum.
    Which electron transition produces the absorption line corresponding to the lowest frequency;

A. E3 to E2
    B. E2 to E3
    C. E1 to E0
    D. E0 to E1
    E. E0 to E3

Had an exam today, had no idea what any of this means...I answered "A" but that was just a wild guess, any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Energy is conserved. Therefore, if an electron makes a transition from a higher energy level to a lower one, the energy that it loses has to go somewhere. In this case, it takes the form of an emitted photon (a particle of light) having exactly the same energy as the gap between the two levels.

2. A photon of frequency f cannot have just any energy. We know from quantum theory that the energy of a photon depends on the frequency of that photon in a very specific way. In other words, there is a relationship between the energy and the frequency of a photon that you should know.

3. Based on the relationship between photon energy and photon frequency mentioned above, you should be able to determine which of the energy level transitions would result in the lowest-frequency photon being emitted.

4. May 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks mate, so, using the quantum theory, the formula E = hf could be used to find the frequency of each level change?

If so, the answer is "E" which, unfortunately, is completely different from the answer I gave in the exam :/

5. May 28, 2010 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, but there is a lower-energy transition choice. (The problem statement said "lowest frequency" not lowest wavelength.)

6. May 28, 2010 #5
    Thanks, here as the steps I followed;

1. Energy Change = Energy New - Energy Old
    2. Energy Change = h x f (h = 6.63x10-34)

Is that right? Or I might have made a silly mistake?

Thanks in Advance

7. May 28, 2010 #6

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That part's fine! :approve:

It's just that choice 'E' is from level E0 to E3. The direction is correct -- the atom absorbs the energy of the photon, so the electron must gain energy (this is the conservation of energy part that cepheid discusses in a previous post). So the electron will transition from some lower energy state to some higher energy state. So the direction of choice 'E' is fine.

But there is(are) lower energy transition(s) than the step from E0 to E3. You need to pick the lowest energy transition (i.e. smallest change in energy) because that's the one that will absorb the lowest frequency photon.

8. May 29, 2010 #7
    Thanks again, If I am understanding correctly then the energy transition should be moving up energy level(s). And that the smallest change in energy should result in the smallest frequency - therefore the correct answer is "C"?

Thanks in advance,

9. May 29, 2010 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

EDIT: Yeah that's right. I thought a photon was being emitted, but the question is talking about a photon being absorbed which I didn't realize until now.

Correct!

Incorrect! The diagram is conveniently drawn in such a way that the vertical spacing between the levels is proportional to the energy difference between them. So all you have to do is find the smallest gap spacing...it's not even necessary to calculate the energy differences. The transition with the smallest spacing will be the energy transition that involves the smallest change in energy. EDIT: Answer choice C also has the wrong direction.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  10. May 29, 2010 #9
    So the correct answer should;
    1. Be moving up energy level(s)
    2. Have the smallest change in energy

The correct answer being "B"?

Thanks Again, I'll get there in the end :biggrin:

11. May 29, 2010 #10

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There ya go. :approve:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook