Understanding Energy Loss in Projectile Motion on a Ramp

In summary: I understand the basic way of doing it if no energy was lost, but because it is and it adds this whole component of projectile motion I'm feeling a bit lost.At first I wanted to time how long it took from the top of the ramp to when it hit the ground, but I couldn't figure out a way of making it work and also thought it might be against the rules as it wants to use the carbon paper. So using the carbon paper you get to know the horizontal displacement, but I'm not sure what else. You also know the vertical displacement is the height of the table and the vertical acceleration is gravity. Hoping someone could point out a hint maybe or something I'm missing or not understanding, thank
EddieV
Homework Statement
1. Place a ramp on the table to that its bottom portion is flush with the edge of the table.
Measure the vertical height of the ramp using the table as a reference.
2. Measure the mass of the marble.
3. Use the info gathered so far to establish the initial potential energy.
4. Devise a method making use of the carbon paper and your knowledge of projectile
motion to determine the velocity that the marble leaves the ramp. Ask yourself why
you would need to know this.
Relevant Equations
Potential and Kinetic Energy Formulas
Ek = (mv^2)/2
Ep = mgh

Kinematics Equations
D = [(v1+v2)/2]T
D = v1T + 0.5v1T^2
D = v2T - 0.5v2T^2
v2^2 = v1^2 + 2aD
v2 = v1 + aT

m = mass
g = gravity
h = height
v = velocity

v1 = initial velocity
v2 = terminal velocity
a = acceleration
D = displacement
T = time

I understand the basic way of doing it if no energy was lost, but because it is and it adds this whole component of projectile motion I'm feeling a bit lost. At first I wanted to time how long it took from the top of the ramp to when it hit the ground, but I couldn't figure out a way of making it work and also thought it might be against the rules as it wants to use the carbon paper. So using the carbon paper you get to know the horizontal displacement, but I'm not sure what else. You also know the vertical displacement is the height of the table and the vertical acceleration is gravity. Hoping someone could point out a hint maybe or something I'm missing or not understanding, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
EddieV said:
if no energy was lost, but because it is
More important than any losses due to friction is that this is rolling contact on the ramp. That will mean a specific fraction of the energy goes into rotation.
EddieV said:
time how long it took from the top of the ramp to when it hit the ground,
That's not the useful time interval. What interval can you determine?

Whoops, never mind I figured it out. Sorry

The ramp is apparently curved and when the marble is shot the vertical velocity is 0 so I can solve for time of the projectile and then find initial horizontal velocity off that

EddieV said:
Whoops, never mind I figured it out. Sorry
Including the rotational energy?

I found something online that showed it using that, but I didn't understand it. I have just learned about potential and kinetic energy after finishing a kinematics unit and I think we were supposed to solve it using purely that kinematics and projectile motion knowledge

Thank you for the help though I really appreciate it

EddieV said:
I found something online that showed it using that, but I didn't understand it. I have just learned about potential and kinetic energy after finishing a kinematics unit and I think we were supposed to solve it using purely that kinematics and projectile motion knowledge
Ok but, when a ball rolls, 2/7 of its total KE is in the form of rotational energy. That will not contribute to its horizontal displacement when it leaves the ramp, so it will only travel √(5/7) of the distance you might have expected.

1. What causes energy loss when an object moves down a ramp?

Energy loss when an object moves down a ramp is primarily caused by friction. As the object slides down the ramp, it rubs against the surface of the ramp, which converts some of its kinetic energy into heat energy. Other factors that can contribute to energy loss include air resistance and internal energy loss within the object itself.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect energy loss?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the energy loss. This is because as the angle increases, the object has a higher velocity and therefore experiences more friction. Additionally, a steeper angle may also increase air resistance and lead to more energy loss.

3. Can energy loss be eliminated when an object moves down a ramp?

No, energy loss cannot be completely eliminated when an object moves down a ramp. However, it can be minimized by using a smooth and slippery surface for the ramp, reducing the angle of the ramp, and minimizing air resistance by performing the experiment in a vacuum.

4. How does the mass of the object affect energy loss down a ramp?

The mass of the object does not directly affect energy loss down a ramp. However, a heavier object may experience greater friction due to its increased weight, leading to slightly more energy loss compared to a lighter object.

5. Is energy loss down a ramp always a bad thing?

Energy loss down a ramp is not always a bad thing. In some cases, it may be desirable, such as in the braking system of a car or other vehicle. However, in most experiments or real-life scenarios, minimizing energy loss is important in order to conserve energy and improve efficiency.