How Can We Calculate Energy Loss Due to Drag on Roller Coasters?

In summary: This formula applies to situations where there is no extra source of kinetic energy, like engines. In summary, to calculate the energy loss due to drag, you can use the equation \frac{1}{2}\rho·v^{2}·C_{D}·A, and to calculate the effects gain/loss of velocity due to wind, you can use the equation E_C = \frac{1}{2}·(\rho·A·v·t)·v^{2}.
adriaat
I'm carrying on a research project in my school about roller coasters and I'm wondering if the following question is right.

I have a drag force which equation is [itex]\frac{1}{2}\rho·v^{2}·C_{D}·A[/itex] where [itex]\rho[/itex] is air density; [itex]v^{2}[/itex] is squared velocity, [itex]C_{D}[/itex] is drag coeficient and [itex]A[/itex] is effective area.

I want to know the energy loss due to drag, so the [itex]W_{Fair}[/itex] done by the air.
Is there any [itex]\int[/itex]integral which I can use to calculate its area and so the energy loss? It will be like a free falling object as it doesn't have any source of extra-proportion of kinetic energy, like engines.

By the way, I'm looking for any formula which I can use to calculate the effects gain/loss of velocity due to wind (by calculating kinetic energy). Is there any? I found:
[itex]E_{C}=\frac{1}{2}·(\rho·A·v·t)·v^{2}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the right formula?Yes, the equation you provided is correct for calculating the energy loss due to drag. To calculate the effects gain/loss of velocity due to wind, you can use the equation E_C = \frac{1}{2}·(\rho·A·v·t)·v^{2}, which takes into account the air density, effective area, velocity and time.

What is energy loss due to drag?

Energy loss due to drag is the reduction in the kinetic energy of an object caused by the force of air or fluid resistance as it moves through the air or fluid.

What are the factors that contribute to energy loss due to drag?

The factors that contribute to energy loss due to drag include the speed of the object, the shape and size of the object, the density and viscosity of the air or fluid, and the surface roughness of the object.

How does air density affect energy loss due to drag?

Air density has a significant impact on energy loss due to drag. As air density increases, the resistance to motion also increases, resulting in a higher energy loss due to drag. This is why objects experience more drag at higher altitudes, where air density is lower.

What is the relationship between speed and energy loss due to drag?

There is a direct relationship between speed and energy loss due to drag. As the speed of an object increases, so does the force of air resistance, resulting in a higher energy loss due to drag.

How can energy loss due to drag be minimized?

Energy loss due to drag can be minimized by reducing the speed of the object, using streamlined shapes that reduce air resistance, and using materials with lower surface roughness. Additionally, using lubricants or coatings can also help reduce energy loss due to drag.