1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy loss due to drag

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    I'm carrying on a research project in my school about roller coasters and I'm wondering if the following question is right.

I have a drag force which equation is [itex]\frac{1}{2}\rho·v^{2}·C_{D}·A[/itex] where [itex]\rho[/itex] is air density; [itex]v^{2}[/itex] is squared velocity, [itex]C_{D}[/itex] is drag coeficient and [itex]A[/itex] is effective area.

I want to know the energy loss due to drag, so the [itex]W_{Fair}[/itex] done by the air.
    Is there any [itex]\int[/itex]integral which I can use to calculate its area and so the energy loss? It will be like a free falling object as it doesn't have any source of extra-proportion of kinetic energy, like engines.

By the way, I'm looking for any formula which I can use to calculate the effects gain/loss of velocity due to wind (by calculating kinetic energy). Is there any? I found:
    [itex]E_{C}=\frac{1}{2}·(\rho·A·v·t)·v^{2}[/itex]

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted