Energy Loss in a Collision: Calculating Speed and Percentage

In summary, a 40.8 g ball of clay collides with and sticks to a 3.41 kg block at rest on a frictionless surface. With an initial speed of 5.04 m/s, the final speed of the block is 0.0596 m/s. To find the percentage of initial energy lost in the collision, the initial and final energies for both objects were calculated using the equation E=0.5mv^2. The correct equation to find the percentage of energy lost is 100- (Einitial/Efinal) x 100.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A 40.8 g ball of clay hits and sticks to a 3.41 kg block sitting at rest on a frictionless surface. What is the speed of the block after the collision if the initial speed of the ball of clay is 5.04 m/s?
b)What percentage of the system's initial energy is lost?

Homework Equations

pinitial=pfinal, E=0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first part i figured out the speed final which is 0.0596 m/s
for the second part for each i figured the initial energy and then the final energy using the energy equation for both objects involved. after this part i am stuck to figure out the energy lost i came up with this equation 100-(Einitial-Efinal/Efinal) x100.. i used it and am not getting the right answer..pls. help

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide by initial energy, not final energy (that's what it means by "percentage of the initial energy").

What is the definition of "energy lost during collision"?

Energy lost during collision refers to the amount of kinetic energy that is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, during a collision between two objects.

How is energy lost during collision calculated?

Energy lost during collision is calculated by subtracting the final kinetic energy of the objects after the collision from the initial kinetic energy before the collision.

What factors affect the amount of energy lost during collision?

The amount of energy lost during collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the type of material they are made of and the angle at which they collide.

Why is energy lost during collision important?

Energy lost during collision can result in damage or deformation of objects, and can also cause injuries to living organisms. Understanding and minimizing energy loss during collisions is important in designing safe and efficient systems and structures.

How can energy lost during collision be reduced?

Energy lost during collision can be reduced by increasing the elasticity of colliding objects, reducing their mass or velocity, and ensuring proper alignment and cushioning during impact.