Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy-momentum Four-vectors

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know how you find the length of the energy-momentum four-vector for a system of particles?
    where length is:

Do you first add the corresponding vector elements then find the length
    find the length of each particle first then sum the individual lengths.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2
    Both values will give you invariants, although the energy-momentum four-vector ([itex]p^\mu[/itex]) of the whole system is equal to the sum of all the individual [itex]p^\mu[/itex], and therefore the length of [itex]p^\mu[/itex] for the system is the length of the sum of all the individual [itex]p^\mu[/itex].
  4. Oct 22, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

It's exactly analogous to finding the magnitude of the total three-momentum of a system of particles. In that case, you find the total x-momentum, total y-momentum, and total z-momentum of momentum, then use them to find the magnitude of the total-momentum vector.
  5. Oct 22, 2005 #4
    If the particles are interacting through when they are seperated (e.g. two charged particles) then the addition of the two 4-vectors is meaningless. Only systems of non-interacting particles anmd systems of particles which interact only through contact forces can be added in a meaningful way. To add the vectors you add components and then take find the magnitude.

This web page I created will get into great detail regarding this. See

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5
    Is this method ok?

Thanks for the clarification...

What I was trying to do was find the lengths of the four-vectors of this reaction before and after.
    p + p ==> p + p + Z

Where a proton with 300GeV hits a stationary proton, then producing a particle Z.

I calculated the length of the Four-vector before the reaction in the stationary proton's frame.

I then equate this to the length of the four-vector after the collision in the
    center-of-mass frame to extract the rest mass of the Z particle.

Question, is there anything wrong with my method?

I have assumed that after the collision the two protons and the Z particle are at rest, since I want the maximum possible rest mass of Z. Momentum in the COM from is zero so it should be ok?

7. Oct 24, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's a reasonable way to proceed. What you end up with is the largest mass the Z can have, and still be produced under these initial conditions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?