Energy/Momentum related question

• Thread starter daewoo
  • Start date
In summary, the ball and cube collide and the ball leaves the table in the direction of the cube. The ball has a horizontal velocity of 2.4 m/s and the cube has a velocity of 2.0 m/s.
daewoo
I got this question that I'm stumped on, was hoping if someone could see if I'm correct and what i did wrong.

A 5.0kg ball initialy at rests at the edge of 2.0m long, 1.2 m high frictionless table, A hard plastic cube of mass 0.50kg slides across the table at a speed of 26m/s and strikes the ball, causing the ball to leave the table in the direction in which the cube was moving.

It also gave us Implulse which is 12N/S

1) Determine the horrizontal velocity of the ball immediatley after the collision
2) Determine the velocity of the cube immdiately after the collision

What i did:
for the 1st question since they gave us impulse which is equal to FT=MV i basically divided the impulse by the mass to get my velocity of 2.4 m/s which I'm not sure if i did right.

for the second one, i went M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1(prime) + M2V2(prime) and basically i solved for V2 prime and got 2.0 m/s.

Did i do them right? if not tell me what i have to do. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK. Let us know if there are any concepts that are unclear or confusing.

well actually there's another question to that, That i can't figure out

3) Determine the distance between the two points of impact of the objects with the floor.

Any ideas?

Since you know how high the table is off of the ground, you can find out how long it takes for either object to hit the ground after it gets to the edge of the table and starts to fall. You've already found the post-impact horizontal velocity of both objects, so you can use that to calculate how far away from the table each object will land.

old...but still good..

I know this problem is old, but I'm sure many other people check up on this problem, (as it is a 1995 ap physics c test free response problem.) You get impulse= 12 by counting squares on the diagram. I got the same answers as the first poster, and for the last part, (part e), I got 1.51 m apart by using the kinematic distance equations:

Delta Y: .5Ayt^2
and
Delta X: Vixt

(some parts of the equation cancel out because there's no horiz. acceleration and there is no initial y velocity.)

hope this helps.

1. What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is stored energy that has the potential to do work. Kinetic energy depends on the mass and velocity of an object, while potential energy depends on the position and state of an object.

2. How is energy related to momentum?

Energy and momentum are both conserved quantities in a closed system. This means that the total amount of energy and momentum in a system will remain constant, even if they are transformed or transferred between different forms or objects within the system.

3. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will always remain constant.

4. How does mass affect momentum?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. This means that a more massive object will have a greater momentum than a less massive object moving at the same velocity.

5. Can energy and momentum be negative?

Yes, both energy and momentum can be negative. Negative energy usually indicates that the system has lost energy, while negative momentum usually indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference frame.