Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Energy-Momentum Tensor from the Action Principle

1. Feb 17, 2017 #1
    I'm reading Hawking-Ellis 1973 book on General Relativity and I'm finding it very interesting. I like the way they present the theory. At the beggining of the book, they derive the energy-momentum tensor from the Lagrangian of the system, where the Lagrangian is a function of matter fields ##\Psi_{(i)\ c...d}^{a...b}## (##(i)## label the fields), their first covariant derivatives, and the metric. He then goes through the construction of the integral, by imposing the usual condition that the action should not vary. He arrives at VISCqgk.png and that it's possible to write ##\Psi_{(i)\ c...d; \ e}^{a...b}## in terms of ##\Delta(g_{bc})_{;d}## and integrate by parts to get EdfzXLY.png .

Can anyone show how to get this final integral from 1?

The another thing is that they show a variety of examples of energy-momentum tensor for different fields, but they don't show how to get the Lagrangian for that fields in first place. I would like to know how to derive the Lagrangian say, for Electromagnetism.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted