How Does Jumping on and off a Sled Affect Kinetic Energy and Speed?

In summary: Can you help explain?Sure. The increase in kinetic energy in part d comes from the initial potential energy of the child-sled system. When the child jumps off the sled, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher speed for the sled. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.
logglypop
A 30kg child moving at 4m/s jump onto a 50kg sled that is initially at rest on a long frictionless,horizontal.
a) find the speed after the child jumps onto the sled
b)find Kinetic Energy of the child after the child jumps onto the sled

After coasting at constant speed for a short time, the child jumps off the sled in such away that she is at rest with respect to the ice
c) find the speed of the sled after the child jumps off
d) find the kinetic energy of the child-sled system when the child is at rest on the ice
e)Compare the Kinetic energy that were determined in part b and d . If the energy greater in d that b, where did the increase come from? . If the energy is less in d than b , where did the energy go.

a)30*4+50*0=v(30+50)
v=1.5

b)1/2(30+50) *1.5^2
KE=90

c)1.5(80)=1.5(30)+50v
v=1.5

d)0

e) d have less energy than b, the energy transform to heat

Physics news on Phys.org
d) find the kinetic energy of the child-sled system when the child is at rest on the ice

c)1.5(80)=1.5(30)+50v
v=1.5

d)0
I don't believe these are correct. The child jumps of so that his/her velocity is zero with respect to the ground, and that is only possible if the child transfers momentum to the sled, which means the sled must increase in velocity.

At rest the child's KE is zero, certainly, but what about the sleds KE. The sled has some velocity.

I don't believe these are correct. The child jumps of so that his/her velocity is zero with respect to the ground, and that is only possible if the child transfers momentum to the sled, which means the sled must increase in velocity.

At rest the child's KE is zero, certainly, but what about the sleds KE. The sled has some velocity.

c) 1.5(80)=1.5(0)+50v
v=2.4m/s

Im not really understand wat u talking about
I think you mean this
d)0+1/2*50*2.4^2
KE=144N ??
Correct me if i am wrong

logglypop said:
A 30kg child moving at 4m/s jump onto a 50kg sled that is initially at rest on a long frictionless,horizontal.
a) find the speed after the child jumps onto the sled
b)find Kinetic Energy of the child after the child jumps onto the sled

After coasting at constant speed for a short time, the child jumps off the sled in such away that she is at rest with respect to the ice
e)Compare the Kinetic energy that were determined in part b and d . If the energy greater in d that b, where did the increase come from? . If the energy is less in d than b , where did the energy go.

a)30*4+50*0=v(30+50)
v=1.5
looks good
b)1/2(30+50) *1.5^2
KE=90
this is the new KE of the child-sled system which i think is what you meant to say in part b statement?
c)1.5(80)=1.5(30)+50v
v=1.5
all speeds should be referenced to the ice, this is incorrect
d)0
this asks about the child/sled system. The sled is still moving, isn't it, so it can't be zero, can it?
e) d have less energy than b, the energy transform to heat
redo part d and reanswer this part.

The kinetic energy in the system is due to the sled after the child is at rest.

The KE is in units of Joules (J), if m is in kg and v in m/s.

The answers appear to be correct.

Here is a reference on inelastic collisions - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/inecol.html

here i redo c d again
c) 1/2(30+50)1.5^2= 0+ 1/2(50)v^2
v=1.9m/s

d) the child at rest so his KE=0
0+ 1/2*50*1.9^2 = 90J

logglypop said:
here i redo c d again
c) 1/2(30+50)1.5^2= 0+ 1/2(50)v^2
v=1.9m/s

d) the child at rest so his KE=0
0+ 1/2*50*1.9^2 = 90J
whoa, wait, your last set of answers were correct...as Astronuc noted...I posted in between responses and was referring to your original answers. Your revised ones were correct as noted. Just answer part e.

e) d has more answer than b, and i don't really know where the increase speed come from

1. What is energy and impulse?

Energy is the ability to do work, while impulse is the change in momentum of an object.

2. How are energy and impulse related?

Energy and impulse are related by the principle of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless an external force acts on it, and this is related to the energy of the system.

3. What are some examples of energy and impulse in everyday life?

Examples of energy and impulse in everyday life include kicking a soccer ball, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. In all of these actions, both energy and impulse are involved in the movement of the objects.

4. How is energy and impulse measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J), while impulse is measured in newton-seconds (N-s).

5. What factors affect the amount of energy and impulse in a system?

The mass, velocity, and direction of an object are factors that affect the amount of energy and impulse in a system. Additionally, external forces and collisions can also affect the energy and impulse of a system.