1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of a damped oscillator

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Energy of a damped oscillator

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I simply need to show that the rate of energy for a damped oscillator is given by:

dE / dT = -bv^2, where b is the dampening coefficient

2. Relevant equations

I am instructed to differentiate the formula:

E = 1/2 mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1/2 kx[tex]^{2}[/tex] (1)

and use the formula: -kx - b dx/dt = m d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] (2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I differentitiate

E = 1/2 mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1/2 kx[tex]^{2}[/tex]

to get dE/dT = m d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] + k dx/dt

the only thing I can see to do here is sub in the above formula (2), to get

dE / dt = -kx - b dx/dt + k dx/dt

dT / dt = -kx - bv + kv

I must be missing something here, or maybe I made a mistake somewhere, but this question has been bugging me since yesterday. If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks alot
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got dE/dt completely wrong. The derivative of (1/2)mv^2 is mv*dv/dt. Do you see why? What's the derivative of (1/2)kx^2? Also what you are trying to prove should be dE/dt=-bv^2.
  4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot for the quick reply Dick. You're right, I corrected the typo above.

If I use mv*dv/dt as the derivative of (1/2)mv^2, and kx*dx/dt as the deriviative of (1/2)kx^2, the solution is very straight forward. I suppose I need to go back in my textbook and see how you derived that.

Thanks alot for your help, I can already tell that this forum is going to be a huge resource for me for the next few years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?