Energy of a massless particle

In summary, when mass is equal to 0, the equations E=pc and u=c apply. This is because if mass is 0, then E^2 = (pc)^2 and p=Ymu does not apply to massless particles. This means that the equation E^2 = (Ymuc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 simplifies to E=pc, and u=c. However, the value of Y would be infinity, which when multiplied with 0 results in an undefined value. Thus, the definition of p as Ymu does not apply in this case.
khkwang

Homework Statement

Show that if mass = 0, then E=pc and u=c.

Homework Equations

E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2
B = u/c = pc/E

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that if m=0, then E^2=(pc)^2 => E=pc.

But isn't p = Ymu? then:
E^2 = (Ymuc)^2 + (mc^2)^2

Plugging in m=0 sets E=0...

It seems strange to me that we can remove (mc^2)^2 from the equation due to m=0, but we can leave (Ymuc)^2 in.

I'm thinking that this definition of p is not the same as Ymu?

EDIT: wait... Y would equal infinity. Which multiplied with 0 makes ? I'm just plain confused now.

Physics news on Phys.org
p = γmu does not apply to massless particles.

Ahhh simple as that lol, thanks.

1. What is a massless particle?

A massless particle, also known as a massless particle, is a particle that has zero mass. These particles are often referred to as "particles of light" because they travel at the speed of light and have no rest mass.

2. How can a particle have no mass?

According to the theory of relativity, the mass of an object is a measure of its energy. Massless particles have no rest mass because all of their energy is in the form of kinetic energy, meaning they are constantly moving at the speed of light.

3. What is the energy of a massless particle?

The energy of a massless particle is determined by its frequency and wavelength, according to the equation E=hf, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the particle. This energy is also known as the particle's "relativistic mass."

4. Can massless particles be detected?

Yes, massless particles can be detected indirectly through their effects on other particles. For example, photons (massless particles of light) can be detected through their interactions with electrons in a photoelectric effect.

5. How are massless particles important in physics?

Massless particles play a crucial role in many theories and concepts in physics, such as quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. They also help explain phenomena such as the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the nature of light.