Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy of a Photon

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the energy of the photon is determined by which properties:
    a)wavelength
    b)intensity of the beam
    c)speed of pgoton
    d)polarization
    e)frequency

2. Relevant equations

E=hf=hc/lambda

3. The attempt at a solution

My first answer to this problem is E)frequency because of the equation E=hf. but then again, i thought about the equation c=lambdaf wherein the wavelength and frequency are related. And i'm confused because I only need to select an answer. would wavelength affect a photon's energy or is it dependent on its color? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The wavelength of a photo would certainly effect its energy, just as frequency does! The question says "properties" so I don't see why you can't pick both.

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    Hey there,
    The question does state which properties so as far as I can see, you can select more than one answer. Does your original question say to state only one?

The Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

P.S. I see someone got there just before I did. Sorry to repeat what's already been said.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  5. Feb 28, 2009 #4
    I'm not sure, it's just kinda weird because there are questions like:
    energy in a coiled wire is stored as:
    a)charge b) potential diff c) magnetic fiels d)both a and b e) both a and c

in this question there's a choice of both a and b/a and c which is not present there. obviously, for this question, the answer's e.

6. Feb 28, 2009 #5
    If the formulae says it is both, which they do, then go for both.

The Bob

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook