1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of a Photon

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the energy of the photon is determined by which properties:
    a)wavelength
    b)intensity of the beam
    c)speed of pgoton
    d)polarization
    e)frequency

2. Relevant equations

E=hf=hc/lambda

3. The attempt at a solution

My first answer to this problem is E)frequency because of the equation E=hf. but then again, i thought about the equation c=lambdaf wherein the wavelength and frequency are related. And i'm confused because I only need to select an answer. would wavelength affect a photon's energy or is it dependent on its color? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The wavelength of a photo would certainly effect its energy, just as frequency does! The question says "properties" so I don't see why you can't pick both.

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    Hey there,
    The question does state which properties so as far as I can see, you can select more than one answer. Does your original question say to state only one?

The Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

P.S. I see someone got there just before I did. Sorry to repeat what's already been said.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  5. Feb 28, 2009 #4
    I'm not sure, it's just kinda weird because there are questions like:
    energy in a coiled wire is stored as:
    a)charge b) potential diff c) magnetic fiels d)both a and b e) both a and c

in this question there's a choice of both a and b/a and c which is not present there. obviously, for this question, the answer's e.

6. Feb 28, 2009 #5
    If the formulae says it is both, which they do, then go for both.

The Bob

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook