Energy of a Photon: Wavelength, Frequency, Intensity, Speed, Polarization

In summary, the energy of a photon is determined by its wavelength and frequency, as well as the intensity of the beam, speed of the photon, and its polarization. This is based on the equation E=hf=hc/lambda, and because the properties of wavelength and frequency are related. The energy of a photon can also be affected by its color, as seen in the equation c=lambdaf. Therefore, when selecting an answer for the properties that determine the energy of a photon, multiple answers can be correct.
jakey

Homework Statement

the energy of the photon is determined by which properties:
a)wavelength
b)intensity of the beam
c)speed of pgoton
d)polarization
e)frequency

Homework Equations

E=hf=hc/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

My first answer to this problem is E)frequency because of the equation E=hf. but then again, i thought about the equation c=lambdaf wherein the wavelength and frequency are related. And I'm confused because I only need to select an answer. would wavelength affect a photon's energy or is it dependent on its color? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The wavelength of a photo would certainly effect its energy, just as frequency does! The question says "properties" so I don't see why you can't pick both.

Hey there,
The question does state which properties so as far as I can see, you can select more than one answer. Does your original question say to state only one?

The Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

P.S. I see someone got there just before I did. Sorry to repeat what's already been said.

Last edited:
The Bob said:
Hey there,
The question does state which properties so as far as I can see, you can select more than one answer. Does your original question say to state only one?

The Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

P.S. I see someone got there just before I did. Sorry to repeat what's already been said.

I'm not sure, it's just kinda weird because there are questions like:
energy in a coiled wire is stored as:
a)charge b) potential diff c) magnetic fiels d)both a and b e) both a and c

in this question there's a choice of both a and b/a and c which is not present there. obviously, for this question, the answer's e.

If the formulae says it is both, which they do, then go for both.

The Bob

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency of a photon?

The wavelength and frequency of a photon are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This is described by the equation: λ = c/ν, where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and ν is the frequency.

2. How does the intensity of a photon affect its energy?

The intensity of a photon does not affect its energy. The energy of a photon is solely determined by its frequency, and therefore, its wavelength. The higher the frequency (or shorter the wavelength), the higher the energy of the photon.

3. What is the speed of a photon?

The speed of a photon is constant and is equivalent to the speed of light, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second in a vacuum. This is represented by the letter 'c' in the equation λ = c/ν.

4. Can a photon have a specific polarization?

Yes, a photon can have a specific polarization. Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field of a photon. It can be linear, circular, or elliptical. The polarization of a photon can be changed through interactions with certain materials or through its propagation through space.

5. How does the energy of a photon affect its behavior?

The energy of a photon is directly related to its behavior. Photons with higher energy (shorter wavelengths) are more likely to interact with matter, while photons with lower energy (longer wavelengths) are more likely to pass through matter. This is why higher energy photons, such as gamma rays, are more dangerous to living organisms than lower energy photons, such as radio waves.