Energy of a single vortex in BEC

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual is trying to solve for the density variation due to a single vortex using the Bessel's differential equation with an additional term ##-f^3##. They have noticed that the solution behaves differently for larger values of ##\eta## and are wondering how Pitaevskii solved this equation numerically. The expert suggests trying a different numerical method and considering the physical interpretation of the solution.
korea_mania
I am trying to solve for the density variation due to a single vortex. The order parameter looks like. [tex]\Psi_0(\vec{r},t)=\sqrt{n}f(\eta)e^{i(s\phi-\mu t)}[/tex] where f satisfy the ODE [tex]\frac{1}{\eta}\frac{d}{d\eta}\left(\eta\frac{df}{d\eta}\right)+\left(1-\frac{s^2}{\eta^2}\right)-f^3=0[/tex] I realized that this is just the Bessel's differential equation except that there is an additional term ##-f^3##. Since ##f\to 0## as ##\eta\to 0##, I expect that the solution looks like Bessel function at least for small ##\eta##.

Therefore, I try to solve the ODE by simply using scipy.integrate.odeint in python and plot the graph. It turns out that the graph do looks similar to the Bessel function at the beginning. The problem is, for a little bit larger ## \eta ## the function go below zero and the function does not even tends to one at large ## \eta ##. How did Pitaevskii solve this equation numerically and got the graph that is printed on every textbook?

Moderator's note: post edited to fix the LaTeX. Please enclose the LaTeX with ## ## to get inlined equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your progress and concerns with solving the density variation due to a single vortex. It seems like you are on the right track by using the Bessel's differential equation as a starting point. However, as you have observed, the additional term ##-f^3## may affect the behavior of the solution.

I would suggest trying to solve the ODE numerically using a different method, such as the Runge-Kutta method. This method is more flexible and can handle non-linear terms like ##-f^3##. You can also try adjusting the initial conditions and parameters to see if that affects the behavior of the solution.

Additionally, it is important to consider the physical interpretation of the solution. Is it physically meaningful for the density to go below zero? It may be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or refer to other literature to see how they have solved this problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research. Keep us updated on your progress.

1. What is a BEC?

A BEC (Bose-Einstein condensate) is a state of matter that occurs when a group of bosons (particles with integer spin) are cooled to a very low temperature, causing them to lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity.

2. What is a vortex in a BEC?

A vortex in a BEC is a localized area where the particles are rotating around a central point, creating a whirlpool-like structure. This occurs due to the conservation of angular momentum in the BEC.

3. How is the energy of a single vortex in BEC calculated?

The energy of a single vortex in BEC is calculated using the Gross-Pitaevskii equation, which describes the dynamics of a BEC. This equation takes into account the kinetic energy, potential energy, and interaction energy of the particles in the vortex.

4. What factors affect the energy of a single vortex in BEC?

The energy of a single vortex in BEC can be affected by the temperature of the BEC, the strength of the interactions between the particles, and the shape and size of the vortex. Additionally, the presence of other vortices or external forces can also impact the energy of a single vortex.

5. How is the energy of a single vortex in BEC related to other properties of the BEC?

The energy of a single vortex in BEC is related to other properties of the BEC, such as its density and velocity. These properties can be manipulated to control the energy of the vortex, which can have implications for the stability and behavior of the BEC as a whole.