Energy of a wave in a transmission line

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem involves finding the total energy carried by a sinusoidal wave traveling down an ideal transmission line with a characteristic impedance of Z=50 Ohms and a propagation velocity of v=200,000km/s. The wave has a frequency of f=1GHz, an amplitude of A=10mV, and a total duration of 10 seconds. While the resistor at the end of the line dissipates all the energy in the wave, the wave itself continues to propagate, so the total energy must be calculated by integrating the power over the entire duration of the wave's propagation. The solution involves using the equations P = IV, w = 2[pi]f, k=w/v, V(x
walking_edges

Homework Statement

An ideal transmission line has a characteristic impedance of Z=50 Ohms and
v=200,000km/s propagation velocity. A sinusoidal signal with frequency f=1GHz and
A=10mV amplitude is traveling down the line.Its total duration is 10s.What total
energy is it carrying?

Homework Equations

P = IV
w = 2[pi]f
k=w/v
V(x,t)=Re{A exp[i(wt-kx)]}
I(x,t)=Re{A/Z exp[i(wt-kx)]}

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture of a transmission line that terminated into to a resistor with the same characteristic impedance as the line. The sinusoidal wave was coming in from the left only. The reflection amplitude of this wave is 0, so I think I should be able to say that all the energy in the wave was "burned" off by the resistor.

A resistor burns energy at the rate of V^2/R J/s, which I said was equal to (A)^2/(Z), the amplitude of the wave squared divided by the characteristic impedance. I then multiplied the power by 10 seconds to get the total energy dissipated by the resistor, which I calculated to be 2*10^-5 J.

The small answer and the fact that I didn't use all the information given pretty much yells to me that I did something wrong. I imagine that time and position dependence of the voltage and current might have something to do with it, but I'm not exactly sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach to the problem is correct, but I believe you may have missed a key concept in calculating the total energy carried by the sinusoidal wave.

While it is true that the resistor dissipates all the energy in the wave, the wave itself continues to travel down the transmission line. This means that the total energy carried by the wave is not just the energy dissipated by the resistor, but also the energy that is still present in the wave as it continues to propagate.

To calculate the total energy, you will need to integrate the power over the entire duration of the wave's propagation. This can be done using the equations you have provided, as well as the fact that the total duration of the wave is 10 seconds.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is the energy of a wave in a transmission line?

The energy of a wave in a transmission line refers to the amount of electrical energy that is being transported through the line. This energy is carried by electromagnetic waves and is used to power various devices and systems.

2. How is the energy of a wave calculated in a transmission line?

The energy of a wave in a transmission line can be calculated using the formula E = 0.5 x C x V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance of the line in farads, and V is the voltage of the wave in volts.

3. What factors affect the energy of a wave in a transmission line?

The energy of a wave in a transmission line can be affected by various factors such as the length and impedance of the line, the frequency and amplitude of the wave, and the type of material used for the line.

4. How does the energy of a wave change as it travels through a transmission line?

The energy of a wave in a transmission line decreases as it travels due to factors such as resistance and leakage. This is known as attenuation and can be minimized by using high-quality materials and proper maintenance of the line.

5. How is the energy of a wave in a transmission line used in practical applications?

The energy of a wave in a transmission line is used in various practical applications such as power distribution, telecommunications, and data transmission. It is also used in devices such as antennas, amplifiers, and filters to manipulate and control the energy of the wave for specific purposes.