1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of an X-ray photon

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The X-ray spectrum of molybdenum has a particular characteristic spectral line of
    wavelength 6.6 *10^–11 m. The ionisation energy of molybdenum is 20 keV.

Deduce that the energy of an X-ray photon of wavelength 6.6*10^–11 m is 19 keV.

2. Relevant equations
    E=h*f
    E=(h*c)/l
    h=planks constant
    c=speed of light
    l=lambda(wavelength)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Normally this is quite easy. You just plug in wavelength into the equation and it should give you the answer. However, the part that I do not understand is that in the markscheme the proper formula to use is E(ev)=(h*c)/(l*e). Were e is elementary charge. Now this does not make sense to me as (h*c)/(l*e)=V (Voltage). So could someone explain why I need to use elementary charge.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Physicists often use eV as unit for energy instead of joule. 1 eV is the energy an electron gains when it is accelerated across 1 V potential difference. This energy is equal to 1( V ) * e (charge of electron) = 1.6 10-19 J.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook