Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of Atomic Electrons

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    I was previously under the impression that an atomic electron in its lowest orbit has a larger wavelength than an electron in a higher atomic orbit. I read earlier today that lower orbiting electrons actually have smaller wavelengths. :confused:

This seems backwards since electrons naturally try to settle into lower orbits, which have lower energies (I thought). And I normally equate energy with wavelength.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Energy is proportional to frequency, which means it's *inversely* proportional to wavelength.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3

So electrons in lower orbits have...

* Relatively less energy
    - Higher Kinetic Energy
    - Lower Potential Energy
    * Smaller Wavelength
    * Higher Frequency

5. Sep 25, 2009 #4
    Wavelength isn't something that is well defined for an electron in an atom, for the same reason that momentum [tex]p = \hbar/\lambda[/tex] can't be well defined; the potential keeps the electron from settling into a momentum eigenstate.

You can do things like compute the expectation value of kinetic energy [tex]1/2m \langle p^2 \rangle[/tex] which will be non-zero. And it will be true that electrons in lower energy levels will have more kinetic energy, but they will also have a much more negative potential energy. In fact, the Virial theorem applies, so [tex]\langle V \langle = -2\langle T \rangle[/tex], so an electron in a state with large kinetic energy will have a much larger potential energy than an electron in a state with low kinetic energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook