What is the Energy of the Big Bang?

In summary, there are several unresolved questions regarding the Big Bang theory and the creation of the universe. These include the origin of the Big Bang, the disappearance of antimatter, and the amount of energy needed for the Big Bang to occur. While energy conservation is a separate phenomenon from the conservation laws that lead to an equal amount of matter and antimatter, the total energy of an expanding universe is thought to be zero. However, this only applies to a closed universe and is not a well-defined concept in standard General Relativity. Some theories beyond GR suggest that the total energy of the universe could be zero, possibly making the Big Bang the result of a vacuum fluctuation. However, this is not something that can be addressed in GR alone.
A brazilian physicist seems to be solved the cosmological problem. In a paper published by the american journal of Physics Progress in Physics [Assis, Armando V.D.B. On the Cold Big Bang Cosmology. Progress in Physics, 2011, v. 2, 58-63]:

http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/2011/PP-25-14.PDF

, the author seems to solve the Einstein field equations with one extra postulate in which he argues that the Dark erergy arises from an illusion due to a persistent Heisenberg uncertainty claiming that the energy content os the universe is totally due to Heisenberg fluctuation. With this, he obtains the correct value of the black body background temperature of 2.7 Kelvins as well the fitting of the cosmological data.

Also, the author seems to go via an alternative route in which the conservetion of energy is weakened by a lack of application of the Noether's theorem (in author's words). Since the subject is important and connected to the entropy problem and to the energy problem, I think this claimed results shoul have some further discussion within the forum.

Karolingfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
We think that there was more matter than antimatter based on the fact that there isn't a lot of antimatter around us. I have read that antimatter looks just like regular matter, so how would we distinguish it from light years away. Our neighboring galaxies could be made of antimatter and since it looks regular we couldn't distinguish it.

AstrophysicsX said:
We think that there was more matter than antimatter based on the fact that there isn't a lot of antimatter around us. I have read that antimatter looks just like regular matter, so how would we distinguish it from light years away. Our neighboring galaxies could be made of antimatter and since it looks regular we couldn't distinguish it.

On the margins where matter and antimatter meet it would annihilate. The intense gamma rays and other radiation would be recognizable, but has not been observed. It's possible that beyond our cosmological event horizon there are antimatter regions, but there's no evidence for that idea.

Even if you say a huge region of space is filled with antimatter only, it has to meet its opposite at some point, and it will annihilate. If our neighboring galaxies were anti-matter, they'd be releasing a ton of energy just as they move through the non-antimatter interstellar medium. If that medium itself were antimatter, than our galaxy would be annihilating with it. Either way, this would have been observed, and it hasn't been.

Tanelorn said:
Chronos, do we not also need some kind of cause and effect, especially for something as sudden and energetic as the big bang?

Perhaps because I have not yet read enough about quantum mechanics and cosmology to have it totally crushed, I still maintain a belief in cause and effect. The fact that we have not a clue as to cause and effect at the singularity does not, to me, say that there ISN'T one.