Calculate Energy of Parallel-Plate Capacitor: 10.4V

In summary, the problem involves finding the energy stored in a parallel-plate capacitor with given dimensions and a 10.4 V battery. The formula for capacitance and energy is provided, and after plugging in the given values, the correct answer is determined to be 2.80e-11 J.
U154756
My physics class is not a calculus based class; therefore, the formulas you see here will not be calculus. My problem states:

A parallel-plate capacitor has 3.56 cm^2 plates that are separated by 6.08 mm with air between them. The permittivity of a vacuum is 8.85419e-12 C^2/Nm^2. If a 10.4 V battery is connected to this capacitor, how much energy dies it store. Answer in units of J.

Capacitance between parallel plates:
C = (epsilon * A)/d (epsilon is the permittivity of a vacuum.)

Once you have capacitance, you can figure the stored energy using:
U = 1/2CV^2

A = 3.56 cm^2 = 3.56e-4 m^2
d = 6.08 mm = .00608 m
Epsilon = 8.85419e-12 C^2/Nm^2
V = 10.4

Plugging the above numbers into the formula:
U = (1/2)((epsilon * A)/d)(V^2)

I get 9.9811e-15 J, but the answer is wrong. Am I missing something here or just flat out working the problem wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 2.80e-11 J. Everything you said looks correct except for the final answer, so you probably typed an error into your calculator.

I would first check to make sure all of the units are consistent. In this case, the units for capacitance should be F (farads) and the units for voltage should be V (volts). It looks like there may be an issue with converting the units from cm and mm to m. I would recommend converting all units to meters before plugging them into the formula.

Using the given values, the capacitance would be:

C = (8.85419e-12 C^2/Nm^2 * 3.56e-4 m^2) / 0.00608 m
C = 5.2202e-11 F

Plugging this into the energy formula, we get:

U = (1/2)(5.2202e-11 F)(10.4 V)^2
U = 2.7494e-8 J

This is the correct answer for the energy stored in the parallel-plate capacitor. It is important to double check units and make sure they are consistent when solving physics problems.

I would first check to make sure that all the units are consistent and in the correct form. In this case, since the units for permittivity are in terms of C^2/Nm^2, we need to convert the area and distance to meters so that the units will cancel out correctly.

So, the correct calculation would be:

A = 3.56 cm^2 = 3.56e-4 m^2
d = 6.08 mm = .00608 m
Epsilon = 8.85419e-12 C^2/Nm^2
V = 10.4

Plugging the above numbers into the formula:
U = (1/2)((epsilon * A)/d)(V^2)

We get the correct answer of 1.614e-8 J. This is because the units are now consistent and cancel out correctly.

If the answer is still incorrect, I would double check the calculations and make sure all the values are entered correctly into the formula. It is also important to note that in this problem, the plates are assumed to be parallel and the electric field is assumed to be uniform between the plates. If these assumptions are not true, the calculated energy may not be accurate.

1. What is a parallel-plate capacitor?

A parallel-plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between the plates.

2. How is energy calculated for a parallel-plate capacitor?

The energy of a parallel-plate capacitor can be calculated by using the formula: E = (1/2)CV^2, where C is the capacitance and V is the voltage across the plates. The energy is measured in joules (J).

3. What is the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor depends on the area of the plates, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. It can be calculated using the formula: C = εA/d, where ε is the dielectric constant, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between them.

4. How is voltage determined for a parallel-plate capacitor?

The voltage across a parallel-plate capacitor can be determined by dividing the energy stored in the capacitor by the capacitance: V = √(2E/C), where E is the energy and C is the capacitance.

5. Can the energy of a parallel-plate capacitor be changed?

Yes, the energy of a parallel-plate capacitor can be changed by adjusting the voltage across the plates or by changing the capacitance through altering the plate area, distance between plates, or dielectric material. Increasing the voltage or capacitance will result in an increase in energy, while decreasing them will decrease the energy.