1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of different capacitor

1. Apr 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A parallel-plate capacitor with plates of area (0.5m) * (1m) has a distance separation of 2 [cm] and a voltage difference of V = 200 [V], as shown in Fig.

figura.png

a) Find the energy stored

b) keep d1 = 2 [cm] and the voltage difference V, while increasing d2 = 2.2 [cm]. Find the energy stored (hint hint u=1/2CV^2)

2. Relevant equations

ecuaciones_usadas.png

3. The attempt at a solution

intento.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could try dividing the capacitor into lots of narrow capacitors in parallel.

4. Apr 22, 2014 #3
    but how if d1=2 and d2=2.2, can you still use the capacitor formulas even if its a uneven capacitor?

5. Apr 22, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to divide it into smaller capacitors than that.

6. Apr 22, 2014 #5
    can you give me a little example please, i just cannot imagine since one side is uneven :(

7. Apr 23, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you not done any calculus?

8. Apr 23, 2014 #7
    so for example i will use this formula E = Δ V / Δ d, and by dividing the plates in very tiny plates
    i can now write E as E = ∑ (Δ V / Δd), but since we V is constant E= V (∑ (1/Δd)) so this will be the same as E=V∫((1/dx)) from d1 to d2 where d=x???

is this approach correct? and then calculate the charge and then the energy????

9. Apr 23, 2014 #8
    ok so i was wondering if so for example i will use this formula E = Δ V / Δ d, and by dividing the plates in very tiny plates i can now write E as E = ∑ (Δ V / Δd), but since we V is constant E= V (∑ (1/Δd)) so this will be the same as E=V∫((1/dx)) from d1 to d2 where d=x???

is this approach correct? and then calculate the charge and then the energy????

10. Apr 23, 2014 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks unwieldy. What happens to your stack of plates when you reach d = 2cm?

How about this instead: compute the E field as a function of x along the bottom plate: x = 0 on the left and x = 0.5m on the right. Compute the energy in a typical volume dx d(x) 1m and integrate.

11. Apr 23, 2014 #10
    the idea is that i can divide the plates in very tine ones and will use this forumula

[tex] Q \equiv εA(Δ V / Δd) [/tex] and will set [tex]A\equiv dxdy[/tex] and [tex]d \equiv dz[/tex]

so the new equation will be like
    [tex] Q \equiv εV \int_0^1 {dx} \int_0^.5 {dy} \int_a^b{1/dz}[/tex]

where [tex]a\equiv2[/tex] and [tex]b\equiv2.2[/tex]

and then use [tex]u \equiv QV(1/2)[/tex] is this correct????

12. Apr 23, 2014 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Kinda... why introduce the charge?

You want to use ##U=\frac{1}{2}CV^2\implies dU = \frac{1}{2}V^2\;dC##

Put the x-axis in the direction the separation of the plates varies.
    Divide the width into strips L=1m long, and dx wide... this is a row of parallel plate capacitors in parallel... you know how to find the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

If we put the x axis so the separation goes like: d(x=0)=2m and d(x=0.5)=2.2m, you can find an expression for d(x)

From that, and knowing that V is the same for all the capacitor elements, you can find:
    dC= (the capacitance of the element at position x)
    ... get this from the expression for the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

Use that to get an expression of form: ##dU = f(x)\;dx##, and integrate both sides.

13. Apr 23, 2014 #12

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's no need to compute capacitance, though it can be done that way of course.

The direct way is to use the formula energy = energy density times volume. What is the energy density of a field E in vacuo?

14. Apr 23, 2014 #13
    using [tex] C\equiv \frac{εA}{d} [/tex] where A= area of plates and the distance is a function of x [tex] d(x) \equiv 2 + 0.4x[/tex]

we get

[tex] C\equiv ε \frac{\int_{0}^{1}dy \int_{0}^{.5}dx}{\int_{0}^{.5}(2+.4x)dx} [/tex]

then substituting in [tex] U \equiv \frac{1}{2} ε V^2 C [/tex]

we can get

[tex] U \equiv \frac{1}{2} ε V^2 \frac{\int_{0}^{1}dy \int_{0}^{.5}dx}{\int_{0}^{.5}(2+.4x)dx} [/tex]

is this correct?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. Apr 23, 2014 #14
    is this approach correct in my last reply?

16. Apr 23, 2014 #15

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think so - you have too many integrals.

17. Apr 23, 2014 #16
    where am i wrong?

18. Apr 23, 2014 #17

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not go step-by-step through the suggestion in post #11?

you have:
    1. expression for d(x): ##d=2+2x/5## (better to avoid decimals in equations - if you can)

You still need the others:
    If the plates are 1m long and dx wide - what is their area?

Therefore:
    2. dC=

Therefore:
    3. dU=

19. Apr 23, 2014 #18
    ok so after trying with my friend we got this,

image.png

is this right now?

20. Apr 23, 2014 #19

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since you will not answer questions or follow suggestions, I cannot help you.

21. Apr 23, 2014 #20
    is the last reply right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted