Calculating Energy Stored in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor

In summary, the energy stored in a parallel-plate capacitor with area 0.5m*1m and a distance separation of 2cm is V=200V. If you divide the capacitor into lots of narrow capacitors in parallel, the stack of plates will become uneven. You can still use the capacitor formulas if the capacitor is uneven, but the stack of plates will become uneven.
yayovio10

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor with plates of area (0.5m) * (1m) has a distance separation of 2 [cm] and a voltage difference of V = 200 [V], as shown in Fig.

figura.png

a) Find the energy stored

b) keep d1 = 2 [cm] and the voltage difference V, while increasing d2 = 2.2 [cm]. Find the energy stored (hint hint u=1/2CV^2)

Homework Equations

ecuaciones_usadas.png

The Attempt at a Solution

intento.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try dividing the capacitor into lots of narrow capacitors in parallel.

but how if d1=2 and d2=2.2, can you still use the capacitor formulas even if its a uneven capacitor?

You have to divide it into smaller capacitors than that.

can you give me a little example please, i just cannot imagine since one side is uneven :(

Have you not done any calculus?

so for example i will use this formula E = Δ V / Δ d, and by dividing the plates in very tiny plates
i can now write E as E = ∑ (Δ V / Δd), but since we V is constant E= V (∑ (1/Δd)) so this will be the same as E=V∫((1/dx)) from d1 to d2 where d=x?

is this approach correct? and then calculate the charge and then the energy?

ok so i was wondering if so for example i will use this formula E = Δ V / Δ d, and by dividing the plates in very tiny plates i can now write E as E = ∑ (Δ V / Δd), but since we V is constant E= V (∑ (1/Δd)) so this will be the same as E=V∫((1/dx)) from d1 to d2 where d=x?

is this approach correct? and then calculate the charge and then the energy?

Looks unwieldy. What happens to your stack of plates when you reach d = 2cm?

How about this instead: compute the E field as a function of x along the bottom plate: x = 0 on the left and x = 0.5m on the right. Compute the energy in a typical volume dx d(x) 1m and integrate.

the idea is that i can divide the plates in very tine ones and will use this forumula

[tex] Q \equiv εA(Δ V / Δd) [/tex] and will set [tex]A\equiv dxdy[/tex] and [tex]d \equiv dz[/tex]

so the new equation will be like
[tex] Q \equiv εV \int_0^1 {dx} \int_0^.5 {dy} \int_a^b{1/dz}[/tex]

where [tex]a\equiv2[/tex] and [tex]b\equiv2.2[/tex]

and then use [tex]u \equiv QV(1/2)[/tex] is this correct?

Kinda... why introduce the charge?

You want to use ##U=\frac{1}{2}CV^2\implies dU = \frac{1}{2}V^2\;dC##

Put the x-axis in the direction the separation of the plates varies.
Divide the width into strips L=1m long, and dx wide... this is a row of parallel plate capacitors in parallel... you know how to find the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

If we put the x-axis so the separation goes like: d(x=0)=2m and d(x=0.5)=2.2m, you can find an expression for d(x)

From that, and knowing that V is the same for all the capacitor elements, you can find:
dC= (the capacitance of the element at position x)
... get this from the expression for the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

Use that to get an expression of form: ##dU = f(x)\;dx##, and integrate both sides.

There's no need to compute capacitance, though it can be done that way of course.

The direct way is to use the formula energy = energy density times volume. What is the energy density of a field E in vacuo?

using [tex] C\equiv \frac{εA}{d} [/tex] where A= area of plates and the distance is a function of x [tex] d(x) \equiv 2 + 0.4x[/tex]

we get

[tex] C\equiv ε \frac{\int_{0}^{1}dy \int_{0}^{.5}dx}{\int_{0}^{.5}(2+.4x)dx} [/tex]then substituting in [tex] U \equiv \frac{1}{2} ε V^2 C [/tex]

we can get

[tex] U \equiv \frac{1}{2} ε V^2 \frac{\int_{0}^{1}dy \int_{0}^{.5}dx}{\int_{0}^{.5}(2+.4x)dx} [/tex]

is this correct?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Kinda... why introduce the charge?

You want to use ##U=\frac{1}{2}CV^2\implies dU = \frac{1}{2}V^2\;dC##

Put the x-axis in the direction the separation of the plates varies.
Divide the width into strips L=1m long, and dx wide... this is a row of parallel plate capacitors in parallel... you know how to find the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

If we put the x-axis so the separation goes like: d(x=0)=2m and d(x=0.5)=2.2m, you can find an expression for d(x)

From that, and knowing that V is the same for all the capacitor elements, you can find:
dC= (the capacitance of the element at position x)
... get this from the expression for the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

Use that to get an expression of form: ##dU = f(x)\;dx##, and integrate both sides.

is this approach correct in my last reply?

I don't think so - you have too many integrals.

Simon Bridge said:
I don't think so - you have too many integrals.

where am i wrong?

Why not go step-by-step through the suggestion in post #11?

you have:
1. expression for d(x): ##d=2+2x/5## (better to avoid decimals in equations - if you can)

You still need the others:
If the plates are 1m long and dx wide - what is their area?

Therefore:
2. dC=

Therefore:
3. dU=

ok so after trying with my friend we got this,

image.png

is this right now?

Since you will not answer questions or follow suggestions, I cannot help you.

Simon Bridge said:
Why not go step-by-step through the suggestion in post #11?

you have:
1. expression for d(x): ##d=2+2x/5## (better to avoid decimals in equations - if you can)

You still need the others:
If the plates are 1m long and dx wide - what is their area?

Therefore:
2. dC=

Therefore:
3. dU=

is the last reply right?

OP - is your answer 4.22 μJ? Your work is very hard to read.

Last edited:

What is a capacitor and how does it store energy?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by storing an electric charge between two conductive plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, and the energy is stored in this field.

How does the energy storage capacity of a capacitor differ from a battery?

A capacitor stores energy in an electric field, while a battery stores energy in a chemical form. This means that a capacitor can charge and discharge very quickly, but it cannot store as much energy as a battery. However, capacitors have a longer lifespan and are more efficient at storing and releasing energy compared to batteries.

How does the size and shape of a capacitor affect its energy storage capabilities?

The energy storage capacity of a capacitor is directly proportional to the surface area of its plates and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that a larger surface area and smaller distance between the plates will result in a higher energy storage capacity. The shape of the capacitor also plays a role, as certain shapes may have a higher surface area and therefore can store more energy.

What factors can affect the efficiency of a capacitor's energy storage?

The materials used for the plates and the dielectric material between them can affect the efficiency of a capacitor. Higher quality materials with lower resistance and higher dielectric strength will result in a more efficient capacitor. Temperature is also a factor, as high temperatures can decrease the efficiency of a capacitor.

How does the voltage affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The amount of energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage across it. This means that the higher the voltage, the more energy can be stored in the capacitor. However, it is important to note that exceeding the maximum voltage rating of a capacitor can cause it to fail or even explode.