1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of electrons

1. May 18, 2007 #1
    hi i'm taking chemistry through correspondence and just need to make sure iam answering this question rite. can someone please look over it and let me know. thanks.

list four ways in which energy can be stored in a molecule.

my answer- rotational enery, vibrational energy, transitional enery and nuclear energy.

which are potential

my answer- rotational and nuclear

kinetic are vibrational and tranistional

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you being asked about the storage of energy by an electron in a molecule?

4. May 22, 2007 #3
    yes thats right

5. May 23, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Electrons don't have translational, rotational or vibrational energy. That type of energy is a property of atoms or molecules. Electrons don't have nuclei so nuclear energy is not important. Electrons do have transitional energy, the energy given off or absorbed when electrons are promoted to or relax from higher energy electronic states.

If the question is concerned with molecules, then kinetic, potential, nuclear energy are valid. Kinetic energy is defined as the energy of motion (translational, vibration, rotational).

You seem to have a handle on the nuclear energy (potential) but what type of energy do you think is involved in an electronic transition?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?