Proving the Energy of Even and Odd Signals

In summary, the question initially asked to show that the energy in the even and odd components of a signal is equal to half of the total energy, but this was found to be incorrect. The actual question is to show that the sum of the energies in the even and odd components is equal to the total energy. This can be easily proved by splitting the integral and using the definitions of even and odd components.
MrPacane
Hi everyone,

In my signals assignment, I'm asked to show that, for a continuous time, real-valued signal x(t):

Ex_even = Ex_odd = 0.5 * Ex

So here's what I've done:

Ex_even = ∫|(x(t) + x(-t))/2|²dt
Ex_even = 0.5 * ∫|(x(t)² + 2x(t)x(-t) + x(-t)²)/2|dt
Ex_even = 0.5 * [ 0.5 * ∫x(t)²dt + ∫x(t)x(-t)dt + 0.5 * ∫x(-t)²dt ]

Now, I assume that ∫x(t)x(-t)dt must go to zero (when integrated from -∞ to +∞), but I don't understand why. Could someone explain it to me?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It doesn't.

Just use x(t) = t^2 to see why.

Alright, thanks for your reply.

But then, does anyone know how to show that Ex_even = Ex_odd = 0.5 * Ex ?

MrPacane said:
Alright, thanks for your reply.

But then, does anyone know how to show that Ex_even = Ex_odd = 0.5 * Ex ?

As Antiphon already pointed it is not true, not for an arbitrary signal anyway. So it's pointless trying to "show it" if it is false!

As you know, an arbitrary signal may be decomposed into odd and even components. For some signals the odd component will be zero, so all the energy is in the even component. For some signals the even competent will be zero, so all the energy is in the odd component. Other signals will have the energy distributed between the odd and even components, but in general they won't have an equal distribution of the total energy.

Please go back and check the exact question that you were asked. You may have missed something or somehow misinterpreted the question. As it stands, what you have asked makes no sense.

Last edited:
Here's the exact question:

Let x_even and x_odd be the even and odd parts of a continuous time, real-valued signal x. Show that
a) Ex_even = Ex_odd = 0.5 * Ex
b) ∫ x_even*x_odd = 0 (integral is from -∞ to +∞)

What am I missing?

Again, thanks for your time :) !

Ok, just take a counter-example. Let [itex]x(t) = e^{-|t|}[/itex].

[itex] x_e(t) = e^{-|t|}[/itex]

[itex] x_o(t) = 0[/itex].

The energy in the even component is finite and the energy in the odd component is zero. Clearly there is something wrong with the question.

BTW. I've got no issue with part (b). That part is easily proved by spiting the integral into two parts (-inf to 0) and (0 to inf).

Are you certain that "Ex" denotes "energy in x(t)" in this question?

Yes, I'm pretty sure... Here's a screenshot of the question:

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/3365/21602169.jpg

EDIT: I just sent an e-mail to my prof asking him to clarify this... I'll get back to you as soon as I get his answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, I'm sorry for wasting your time, the prof said it's a mistake.

The question should have been:

Let x_even and x_odd be the even and odd parts of a continuous time, real-valued signal x. Show that
a) Ex_even + Ex_odd = Ex

Which is quiet easy to prove. Problem "solved".

1. What is the difference between even and odd signals?

The main difference between even and odd signals is their symmetry. Even signals have symmetry about the y-axis, while odd signals have symmetry about the origin.

2. How is the energy of an even signal calculated?

The energy of an even signal is calculated by integrating the squared magnitude of the signal over its entire domain. This can be represented mathematically as E = ∫t2t1 x2(t) dt, where t1 and t2 are the starting and ending points of the signal's domain.

3. Is the energy of an odd signal always zero?

No, the energy of an odd signal can vary depending on the signal's amplitude and frequency. However, if the signal is periodic, the energy will be zero since the positive and negative areas cancel each other out.

4. Can an even signal have odd components?

No, an even signal is defined as having no odd components. This means that all the terms in the Fourier series of an even signal will be cosine functions.

5. How is the energy of a signal related to its power?

The power of a signal is the average energy per unit time and is calculated by dividing the energy by the signal's time duration. So, the energy and power of a signal are directly related to each other.