Confused About Wave Energy and Light Energy: Seeking Clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the energy of a wave and its amplitude, as well as the concept of energy for light waves and its dependence on frequency. The speaker also asks for clarification on the relationship between energy and intensity for electromagnetic waves, and the conversation ends with a request for a derivation and the acknowledgement that the topic is interesting.
UncertaintyAjay
So, I've learned in school that the energy of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude. I've also learned that the energy of light is given by E= hv. I'm confused. Could someone clarify?

Science news on Phys.org
UncertaintyAjay said:
I've also learned that the energy of light is given by E= hv. I'm confused
More precisely, energy of a photon with frequency ##\nu##. For classical lightwave, the energy is the sum of all these quanta present in there.

Likes UncertaintyAjay
And hence proportional to intensity? Thanks a bunch.

UncertaintyAjay said:
And hence proportional to intensity?
What is proportional to the intensity? The energy?, Electromagnetic wave's energy is in general not proportional to its intensity, instead it's the integral of intensity over space and time.

blue_leaf77 said:
What is proportional to the intensity? The energy?, Electromagnetic wave's energy is in general not proportional to its intensity, instead it's the integral of intensity over space and time
I'm having a bit of trouble visualising exactly what you mean by over space and time. Could you give me an example?

$$
E = \int \int |\mathbf{E}(\mathbf{r}_\perp,t)|^2 d\mathbf{r}_\perp dt
$$.
where ##\mathbf{r}_\perp## are coordinates in the transverse plane. This is the energy passing through a transverse plane on which the vector ##\mathbf{r}_\perp## lies during certain time interval specified by the limits of the intgral over time.

E(r,t) is some function of the two right? If you're taking the mod sqaured of it, is it the amplitude as a function of space and time? And would it be too much to ask for a derivation?

Thanks btw,this is shaping up to be a fun topic

What is wave energy?

Wave energy is the energy carried by waves in the ocean. It is a renewable and sustainable form of energy that can be harnessed to generate electricity.

What is light energy?

Light energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is a type of energy that can be seen as light and is responsible for allowing us to see the world around us.

What is the difference between wave energy and light energy?

The main difference between wave energy and light energy is the type of energy they carry. Wave energy is a form of mechanical energy, while light energy is a form of electromagnetic energy. Additionally, wave energy is primarily found in the ocean, while light energy is present all around us.

How is wave energy converted into usable energy?

Wave energy can be converted into usable energy through the use of various technologies, such as wave energy converters. These devices capture the energy of ocean waves and convert it into electricity, which can then be used to power homes and buildings.

Is wave energy a viable source of renewable energy?

Yes, wave energy is considered a viable source of renewable energy. It is a clean and sustainable form of energy that has the potential to meet a significant portion of the world's electricity needs. However, further research and development are needed to make it more cost-effective and widely available.