Optimizing Brick Stacking: Minimum Energy Requirements

• Thread starter grouper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: I'm not sure, sorry.In summary, the minimum energy required to put all bricks one on top of another is the sum of the potential energies of the bricks.
grouper

Homework Statement

N bricks, each having height h and mass m, are lying on the floor in a configuration of minimal potential energy. What is the minimum energy required to put all bricks one on top of another?

Homework Equations

U=mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

As (I assume) they are all flat on the floor with minimum potential energy, I think this problem is mainly about the most efficient way to stack the bricks. Is the energy used to stack the bricks the same as the difference in potential energy from the starting position (presumably 0 J) and the ending position (mgNh)? And how does that translate into a MINIMUM ENERGY requirement?

Physics news on Phys.org
The minimum energy just means you lift each brick directly to it's final position.
(It's not really an important part of the question.)
It's also not about the most efficient stacking - you are told that they simply go on top of each other.

Draw a stack of bricks on top of each other and think about the average potential energy,

Ok, I understand what you're saying. So then the potential energy for any brick N would just be mgNh, correct? And am I correct in saying that the potential energy (mgNh) is also the "minimum energy required to put all bricking one on top of another" as the question asks?

Yes the PE for a brick is just mgH, where H is the number of bricks below it * height of a brick
Now think about the total energy for all bricks

Ah, I didn't think of the total energy of all the bricks. So would it be mghN-mgh (or of course mgh(N-1))?

I would think of in terms of the average height of a brick in a stack of N bricks

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're getting at

The first (not counting the one on the floor) brick moves through height h gaining pe of mgh
The next brick moves through 2h = mg2h
The next = mg3h
and the Nth mgNh

Whats the total?
ie what is the sum of 1+2+3+4+5...N

Ok, so it's the sum of mghN from N=1 to N, but I'm not sure what the sum of 1+2+3+. . . +N is. Before I was just using an integral of mghN from 1 to N, but I guess that's not how you do it.

Hint - Karl Gauss figured it out when he was 5

So. . . I believe the energy would be mgh((n^2+n)/2)?

1. What is the "Energy of moving bricks"?

The "Energy of moving bricks" refers to the amount of energy required to move a brick from one location to another. This energy can come from a variety of sources, such as human labor, machines, or natural forces like gravity.

2. How is the energy of moving bricks calculated?

The energy of moving bricks is calculated using the formula E = mgh, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the brick, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the brick is being moved. This formula takes into account the potential energy and kinetic energy of the brick.

3. What factors affect the energy of moving bricks?

The energy of moving bricks is affected by several factors, including the mass of the brick, the distance it is being moved, the speed at which it is being moved, and the force or power being used to move it. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also play a role.

4. How is the energy of moving bricks used in everyday life?

The energy of moving bricks is used in a variety of ways in everyday life. It is often used in construction, where bricks are moved and placed into buildings or structures. It is also used in transportation, where bricks are moved along conveyor belts or loaded onto trucks for delivery.

5. Can the energy of moving bricks be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the energy of moving bricks can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy or thermal energy. For example, if a machine is used to move bricks, the energy used to power the machine can be converted into electrical energy. Friction from moving bricks can also produce heat, converting the energy into thermal energy.