1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Energy of relativistic impact

1. Apr 27, 2017 #1
    If I were to have an object that is floating in space, with a radius of 100 m , that is going to crash unto earth from a distance of 94,725,000 m and a speed of 299,792,455 m/s, how will it affect earth?(in terms of recoil or rebound.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 29, 2017 #3
    hmm, let me put that as 1.17x1010 kg

5. Apr 29, 2017 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. Apr 29, 2017 #5
    Is has enough energy to drill a hole through Earth. It has enough energy to move the whole column of material at 70000km/s in the end (unless I made a mistake, which is likely).
    I'm no expert at hypervelocity impacts but I don't think there is enough time for a sideways motion of the material in the path of the Thing. But I also don't see how the energy would get transferred to that column of material. Probably it would create a layer of degenerate or even neutron matter on impact, that would get thicker as the Thing moves through the Earth.
    Also I don't think it really matters what the Thing is made of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted