1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of SMH

1. Dec 15, 2005 #1
    I have 3 questions. I will give you what I think is the answer and you can either give me the answer or lead me in the right direction. I appreciate both equally. With direction I can find the answer, and with the answer I can find the direction, so I am cool either way.

When the compression of a spring is reduced to half it's original value, the potential energy stored in the spring is:

1/8 original value.
    1/4 original value.
    The same as above.

I think it is the same because, if I remmber right, E = 1/2mv^2 and isn't affected by compression.

The total energy of a spring undergoing SHM could be expressed as:
    E = 1/2mv^2, correct?

This is the one I am clueless on:

A 2.5 kg object is attached to a spring of force constant k = 4.5 kN/m. The spring is streched 10 cm from the equilibrium and released. What is the kinetic energy of the mass-spring system when the mass is 5 cm from tits equilibrium position?

14 J
    11 J
    17 J

No clue. I think I am using the wrong formulas or factoring in A and Xmax incorrectly or something. Any help would be great on this one.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2005 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Potential energy of a spring: (1/2)kx2.
    E = K + U, where K is kinetic energy and U potential energy, so E = (1/2)mv2 is incorrect.

Can you now solve the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?