Solving a Spring-Mass System Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to the potential energy of a spring when its compression is reduced, the total energy of a spring undergoing SHM, and the kinetic energy of a mass-spring system. It also mentions the formula for potential energy of a spring and the incorrect use of the formula E = (1/2)mv2. The specific question about the kinetic energy of the mass-spring system when the mass is 5 cm from its equilibrium position remains unsolved.
Dooga Blackrazor
I have 3 questions. I will give you what I think is the answer and you can either give me the answer or lead me in the right direction. I appreciate both equally. With direction I can find the answer, and with the answer I can find the direction, so I am cool either way.

When the compression of a spring is reduced to half it's original value, the potential energy stored in the spring is:

1/8 original value.
1/4 original value.
The same as above.

I think it is the same because, if I remmber right, E = 1/2mv^2 and isn't affected by compression.

The total energy of a spring undergoing SHM could be expressed as:
E = 1/2mv^2, correct?

This is the one I am clueless on:

A 2.5 kg object is attached to a spring of force constant k = 4.5 kN/m. The spring is streched 10 cm from the equilibrium and released. What is the kinetic energy of the mass-spring system when the mass is 5 cm from tits equilibrium position?

14 J
11 J
17 J

No clue. I think I am using the wrong formulas or factoring in A and Xmax incorrectly or something. Any help would be great on this one.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy of a spring: (1/2)kx2.
E = K + U, where K is kinetic energy and U potential energy, so E = (1/2)mv2 is incorrect.

Can you now solve the problem?

for your questions, I am happy to help.

1. The potential energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to the square of its compression or extension. Therefore, if the compression is reduced to half its original value, the potential energy will be reduced to 1/4 of its original value. So the correct answer is 1/4 original value.

2. The total energy of a spring undergoing SHM can be expressed as the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. Therefore, the correct expression for total energy would be E = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2, where k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and v is the velocity.

3. To calculate the kinetic energy of the mass-spring system when the mass is 5 cm from its equilibrium position, we need to first calculate the velocity of the mass at that point. We can use the equation v = √(k/m)x, where k is the spring constant and m is the mass. Plugging in the given values, we get v = √(4.5 kN/m / 2.5 kg)(5 cm) = 3 m/s. Now we can use the formula for kinetic energy, K = 1/2mv^2, to get K = 1/2(2.5 kg)(3 m/s)^2 = 11.25 J. So the correct answer is 11 J.

What is a spring-mass system energy problem?

A spring-mass system energy problem is a physics problem that involves finding the energy of a system consisting of a mass attached to a spring. It is a common problem used to demonstrate the concepts of potential and kinetic energy in a simple system.

What are the variables involved in solving a spring-mass system energy problem?

The variables involved in solving a spring-mass system energy problem include the mass of the object, the spring constant, the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position, and the velocity of the mass.

How do you calculate the potential energy of a spring-mass system?

The potential energy of a spring-mass system can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. This formula is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy in a spring-mass system?

In a spring-mass system, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the mass moves from its equilibrium position. At the maximum displacement, all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. As the mass returns to its equilibrium position, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy.

What is the conservation of energy principle and how does it apply to solving a spring-mass system energy problem?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In a spring-mass system, the total energy (potential + kinetic) remains constant throughout the system's motion. This principle can be used to check the accuracy of calculations and ensure that all energy transfers have been properly accounted for.