1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of system involving pressurized gas

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing a project where I will be using a pressurized PVC pipe to lob a beanbag over a barrier and onto a ground target. Like a potato cannon, 1 chamber will have ~ 6.5 atm absolute pressure and when a valve is released, gas will flow along the pressure gradient into a second chamber holding the beanbag. I am having trouble describing the system's energy state when the PVC pipe is at 6.5 atm just prior to launch.

3. The attempt at a solution
    At t = 0 just prior to launch, the beanbag has no kinetic energy and has a small amount of gravitational potential energy. Is there a way to describe the compressed gas in the lower pipe as a potential energy source? I know I could do that if there was a compressed spring under the beanbag, so I am wondering if compressed gas can similarly be considered a potential energy source. I'm very rusty on my basic physics and the only other way I can think of describing the state at t = 0 is to calculate the velocity of the compressed gas as it moves along the pressure gradient, and treat it like a collision when it contacts the beanbag. Any hints or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted